Talk

Advanced search

Should we move dd from private to state for KS2?

(9 Posts)
Louisesb Thu 16-May-13 13:37:20

My dd is in yr 2 at all girls private school . She is very happy but finds the all girls atmosphere a bit overwhelming at times.

When she starts yr 3 they don't finish school until 3.55 and will have more hwk each night until they have 2 hours a night in yr 5and 6.

We have the option of moving her to a good primary and don't know whether to do it.

I love the idea of her finishing school at 3.15 and then just enjoying her time off school and her childhood.

She would also enjoy the mixed classes.

Do I risk that she will be happy and move her over the things that are niggling me and let her have a more normal childhood or leave things s they are?

AMumInScotland Thu 16-May-13 13:51:25

I reckon if you are thinking of the state school as "a more normal childhood" you already feel in your heart that moving her out of this hothouse would be the better option for her!

redskyatnight Thu 16-May-13 14:15:25

Private schools do tend to have longer holidays though (which you might prefer over shorter days and shorter holidays depending on circumstances).

Don't assume state schools have no homework, DS (Y4) can easily spend up to an hour a night, plus he does music practice on top. If you specifically want no (or little) homework you need to ask what the school policy is.

Is there definitely a place available for Y3? It can be hard to get into good schools at other points other than Reception.

Louisesb Thu 16-May-13 14:24:15

No, no definite place although top of list so may come up soon.

I love her long holidays as have great fun doing stuff together.
I just resent her spending all week at school with no time to do much out of school that she likes and still get to bed at 7pm.

lljkk Thu 16-May-13 14:51:51

I would move her.

sybilwibble Thu 16-May-13 14:53:50

It depends what you want for her at 11. I'm very surprised at the 2 hours a night in yr 5 & 6 but can only assume it's because they leave at 11 and so need to get the girls up to a high standard for the 11+ entrance exams.
If you want your dd to transfer to the local state senior school with her new classmates, then your new schooling strategy would work fine. But if she is going to have to sit the 11+ you will find the onus will be on you to either find a tutor and/or provide extra support yourself if she's competing against her old classmates for a new school place.

In yr 5 & 6 you could ask two parents the question, "How much homework does your dd get a night?" One mum might claim one hour, another could say two hours. How long individual girls spend on their identical homework varies enormously, I've noticed! If your dd is an independent worker and doesn't need a lot of support or supervision, by yr 5 & 6 they can whizz through their homework.

You might find yourself jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

freetrait Thu 16-May-13 16:00:17

2 hours is silly. Is this what the school suggests for Y5 and 6- surely not? If you have visited the state and feel that the atmosphere and attitude is more conjusive to your DD then I would go for it.

sittinginthesun Thu 16-May-13 18:11:34

I think it depends entirely on your feeling towards each school, and also what you are planning to do for secondary.

Personally, I would, but then I have had fantastic experiences with our school.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 16-May-13 18:27:15

In your position I would move her. Dd is in year 6 of a private primary. She finishes school at 3.30pm and has approx half an hour of homework 2 or 3 times a week plus reading, spellings & times tables.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now