Talk

Advanced search

Primary school admission - last minute change

(3 Posts)
Mandythegranny Wed 15-May-13 22:44:44

Well, they got a place in their school of choice for my grand-daughter. But on the last day for appeal, we discovered that I won't be able to do the major share of childcare, as my husband has a life-changing illness.

How can her parents now try to change the primary school she joins, as it needs to be in a different town now.

Goldchilled7up Wed 15-May-13 23:54:47

Someone more knowledgeable than me on this matters may be able to advise better. But, from what I understand you can get on the waiting list for up to 6 schools. They need to contact their local authority and ask to be added to the waiting lists of their chosen schools. If one of their liking has places available, they could get an offer straight away.

prh47bridge Thu 16-May-13 00:11:29

Goldchilled7up is broadly correct.

It is up to the LA how many waiting lists you can join. Some limit you to 3, others have no limit. The parents should get your grand-daughter on the waiting list of as many appropriate schools as they can. If one of them has a place available it will be offered to them. If not they will have to hope that a place becomes available. They can appeal for these schools regardless of any deadline but the chances of winning are low if it would be an infant class size appeal (which depends on the size of classes in Reception, Y1 and Y2).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now