Talk

Advanced search

Admissions/waiting lists - there is hope!!

(10 Posts)
MaisyMoo123 Wed 15-May-13 22:11:31

Just wanted to offer a little bit of hope to all those still waiting to get a reception place sorted for September. After weeks of stress, worry and sleepless nights we found out today that DS has a place in our first choice school after all grin! LA weren't even due to confirm where we were on waiting list till Monday but turns out we were first! I literally just put an appeal form in yesterday too! So, I know every school/area/personal circumstances are different but don't lose hope if you're still waiting. It can end up working out!!!

ninaprettyballerina Wed 15-May-13 22:22:33

Brilliant news maisy. Did you get a call or am email?? I'm constantly checking my emails in the hope something appears

queenfromars Wed 15-May-13 22:25:54

We are first on ours too, so awful not knowing where ds will be going.

Great news for you, bet it feels like a weight lifted! Does the appeal get cancelled automatically? Who contacted you, the school or admissions?

MaisyMoo123 Wed 15-May-13 22:41:19

The admissions office left a message yesterday asking me to call them back. Didn't pick the message up till evening so had to wait till this morning to call, which was torture! Called them first thing and they told me they were now in a position to offer DS a place. I still can't quite believe it and definitely feels like a weight has been lifted!! Completely know what you mean about it being so hard not knowing queen! That was my first thought - that we can actually start talking to DS about starting school now!! As far as appeals go - you have to actually withdraw it (at least here) so I called them.

Good luck ladies. I really hope it all works out for you and your dcs!!

queenfromars Wed 15-May-13 22:58:09

Oh wow, brilliant, I have been hoping the phone will ring with a similar call!
We havent started talking about school with ds yet either - we walk past our 1st choice school all the time as it's so close and ds mentioned something about how he will be 'going down that slide soon' that he can see on the other side of the fence, and my heart was breaking for him sad

Still great for you though, you can get uniforms and bits now, and wont miss any of the meetings etc. grin

MaisyMoo123 Wed 15-May-13 23:12:29

Oh queen - I know exactly how you're feeling. It's so hard. It's like everything's on hold and you just want it all sorted so you can start talking about it and preparing them for the next phase in their little lives. Ds was assuming he'd go to our first choice as dd is there at the moment (but it's infant and she's on y2 so sibling rule didn't apply!) so whilst we've not really been talking about it we've been playing that school down a bit and introducing the concept that he might go somewhere else etc. BUT no need in the end! And yes, I'm very pleased its all sorted before the taster days etc! That's definitely a huge bonus. I know we're very lucky.

Fingers crossed you get a call soon. It's a waiting game game!

queenfromars Wed 15-May-13 23:20:38

Yes, we are doing the same, not really talking about it. Our allocated school has sent the dates of a parent evening and taster sessions, but not sure what to do - if he goes to the taster session then we will have to tell him why he wont be going to the other school with ALL his friends, how do you explain that to a four year old without making him feel rejected? But then if he gets in at our 1st choice, he will be confused.

But at least I have a glimmer of hope now, am not leaving that phone lol

Goldchilled7up Wed 15-May-13 23:41:05

Yes, there is hope. We were 6th in the waiting list for a very popular school with low mobility and got a call last week with an offer. So hang on there.

MaisyMoo123 Thu 16-May-13 08:35:05

Know just what you mean queen. We were in exactly the same position re. Parent meetings and taster days etc at allocated school. You don't want to miss those in case it doesn't work out but it's confusing for a 4 year old. They're adaptable things though so try not to worry too much - and it may well all work out before the meetings anyway.

Definitely don't give up hope!!!

nlondondad Thu 16-May-13 10:03:33

There really is a lot of "churn" at this time, and much movement on waiting lists takes place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now