Talk

Advanced search

Moving house and Waiting lists.

(3 Posts)
elfycat Wed 15-May-13 20:41:22

We've had our house up to sale for a year, and for one reason or another stupidity of estate agents with marketing we haven't had someone round wanting to make an offer. In the meantime we've applied for and accepted a place in reception for DD1.

We are about to take the house off and settle here, but now have viewers for tomorrow and sods-law says they'll like it.

If we were to move to an entirely different area, with a higher demand on school places, would we join the waiting list after the catchment area children (say we lived next door and were in the catchment), or after everyone who wants to be on the list from out of area too?

<giving DH a hard stare, he was supposed to take the house off the market one we'd got DD1s school place and were happy, but the move is to be closer to my family so I can't complain too much>

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Wed 15-May-13 21:43:06

Waiting lists are held in admission criteria order.

So say you moved onto the doorstep of a good school. You would jump ahead of all the people who lived further away who wanted to get in (e.g. people who were outside the effective catchment, or in an area with actual catchment areas, ahead of those in catchment who live further than you) but would still be behind anyone in a higher priority category - for example siblings, or if there is a faith component and you aren't in that group.

elfycat Wed 15-May-13 22:34:56

Thanks Amanda I thought and hoped it would be something like that. Now it depends on the viewers. We keep getting elderly people (bungalow) only it's a chalet bungalow with a large-ish garden, so a family home.

The 2-3 houses we liked in the new area were sold over 6 months ago so we'd have to start looking again and also call up and find out the school admission stuff before we would be in a position to accept an offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now