Talk

Advanced search

Accepting a reception place

(6 Posts)
queenfromars Tue 14-May-13 23:11:59

Ok, stupid question probably, but do you actually have to 'do' anything to accept a place?
We were offered our 2nd choice (we are appealing but are also 1st on waiting list) and I keep seeing about accepting places. Am I meant to do something? I havent received anything to send back etc.
Our allocated school have written detailing an open day which is stupidly in the evening when I need to be at home putting the cherubs to bed where we go to meet staff and pick up an admissions pack etc, but this is not until June/July.

CointreauVersial Tue 14-May-13 23:27:15

Yes, usually you have to accept the offer. Send back a paper slip, or follow a link from an email.

Bunnyjo Tue 14-May-13 23:28:21

Our LA assumes that if you don't contact them, then you've accepted the place...

BUT, many LA's state that you have to accept the offered place in writing (usually sending back a signed acceptance letter). It wouldn't hurt to phone your LA and ask - just ask if you need to send anything back to them to accept the original offer, or whether it is assumed that you have accepted the offer.

Good luck with your appeal.

christinarossetti Wed 15-May-13 06:55:57

If your allocated school have written to you directly, it sounds like you've accepted the place, possibly as bunnyjo says, by doing nothing.

You could give the LA a ring or it might be quicker to call the school directly just to check.

redskyatnight Wed 15-May-13 08:27:13

Imagine it varies by LEA. Check your letter. Ours only specifies that you should contact them if you don't want the place.

tiggytape Wed 15-May-13 09:02:41

Different LA's do different things. Our has a written slip you have to post back but they will also accept an email as being a written acceptance too.
Some areas don't require you to do anything but it makes sense to check.

The information sessions are often in the evenings - once the after school clubs have finished and once the teachers have had a chance to prepare. They can last well over an hour with time for questions, lots of information on everything from nits and lunchboxes to early years learning plus class lists and uniform to organise. If you have a partner, you don't both have to attend. Some people bring their children along, some don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now