Talk

Advanced search

Rant Alert - I HATE SATS

(9 Posts)
NaturalBlondeYeahRight Tue 14-May-13 20:03:11

Why is my cheerful, funny, bright 10 yr old crying and trying to revise online for these fucking tests? Pressure at 10 FGS!
I tell her I don't mind what she gets, no one should be learning the night before. But they were TOLD to.
Rage.

No replies needed, just wanted to vent.

That is all.

StitchAteMySleep Tue 14-May-13 20:11:49

Unplug the computer, make her a warm drink and some comfort food and gently steer her to the sofa to watch a cartoon. Give her a cuddle.

The SATs are not that important, they get re-tested in secondary school anyway.

A good nights sleep will help her far more than revising right now.

She will do better if she relaxes a bit and stays calm and is happy.

I hate SATs too (ex Year 6 teacher), the pressure put on some kids is ridiculous. It is not their GCSE's or A'levels FGS!

Pozzled Tue 14-May-13 20:12:57

I'll join you. I'm a year 6 teacher and I hate them too. We should not be placing so much stress on children so young. And no Year 6 should be revising during the evenings this week. I'd be checking with the teacher about what they were told, and putting a complaint in if necessary.

mumsneedwine Tue 14-May-13 21:16:42

Just put my year 6 to bed. She has spent the evening in the woods with her friends. I understand a den was built and a great game of hide and seek which seemed to take hours and become quite complicated. Do not let kids revise. It's bonkers. Spoken from a mum of 5, & this is number 5 !! Can't even remember what the other 4 got. This one is quite enjoying SATS as teachers have told them to just try their best and relax. Now, I do wonder when people look at league tables and think the school with the best KS2 results must be the best if they realise why. Not always, but those 100%s every year don't happen without a heck of a lot of work. Enough time for exam stress in Year 11 (I have one of those too !!)

Bambona Thu 16-May-13 00:36:05

can you tell me what was the reading paper of sat ks2 about?

Startail Thu 16-May-13 00:49:12

100% come with being very lucky with your pupils.

No way does a normal school with a normal mixed inclusive catchment get 100% L4

DD2s year did very well for L5s why? Because they had a group of very bright DCs who were very competitive. They would have got level 5 anywhere.

lljkk Thu 16-May-13 08:19:37

That's terrible sad. Ours are told very specifically to relax & not to revise this week at all.

Bambona we aren't supposed to discuss details, some kids still haven't taken the tests (due to illness, typically). Reading is an hour long and DD says it's the hardest by far.

Bambona Thu 23-May-13 23:05:58

when can we discuss the papers ?I need to know some information about them..

crazeelaydee Thu 23-May-13 23:27:33

My DS 8 went to see a paediatrician today and SATS just happened to be mentioned...don't ask why! confused. She looked towards him and said in a very gentle voice "weecrazee the SATS that you have to do in no way, shape or form affect you as a person. The only ones who benefit is the school." Which I found quite refreshing TBH and should he become distressed or overworked due to his Yr6 SATS I just might find myself imitating the paediatrician, so long as my DS doesn't decide to do it first! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now