Talk

Advanced search

Compulsory PE / Unauthorised Absence

(23 Posts)
GraniaPringle Tue 14-May-13 16:37:18

I've NC to protect my posting history as I have ranted publicly about this on FB

DD is competing in a high level dance competition at half term, she is dancing 5 times a week in preparation.

They are doing rounders in PE and I have asked if she can sit it out for the next two weeks so as not to risk injury that might stop her competing (amounts to 3 lessons as one of the days they do PE is an INSET day)

I've explained that she is getting more excercise dancing than she would be in PE but the response that I have got is that PE is a compulsory part of the curriculum so she has to do it and they can't guarantee that she won't get injured.

I'm really disappointed that they are being unsupportive of her, knowing how hard she has tried to get this far and that slipping on wet grass could scupper a years work.

Am half thinking that I will keep her off school on the days she has PE and let them take the hit on authorised absence just to be petty.

Would other schools let them miss PE for something like this?

pinkdelight Tue 14-May-13 17:03:15

Surely she could injure herself at one of her five dancing classes, or just walking along the street? It's not like rounders is a high-risk sport. Seems like a strange request to me and not something the school would support.

Littleturkish Tue 14-May-13 17:11:12

I'm sure the school consider rounders to be safe- it is a non-contact sport and unlikely to cause injury. Much more likely to get hit by a car, surely!

GraniaPringle Tue 14-May-13 17:12:10

You're right she could injure herself other ways but we are trying to avoid any unneccessary accidents. It's not that rounders is high risk, just that it is played on wet grass and she slipped on it last time.

NynaevesSister Tue 14-May-13 17:23:35

How old is she? I have had a quiet word with son's teacher in the past and she has been fine about him missing PE. Not for reasons like yours. I just wouldn't have thought to ask the school for authorisation.

Littleturkish Tue 14-May-13 17:32:50

She can play and take care, she can participate by keeping score- perhaps ask for a less active role for two lessons? And for it to be discrete? Don't keep her off school- terrible waste of two days. I imagine the school is concerned about setting a precedent for future requests.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 17:35:55

DS had a nasty head bash when he & another yr8 both went for the same ball. That said...

Sorry, sounds like wrapping her up on cotton wool. Is she banned from running in the park or walking down the street, too? No swimming (could slip on the tiles), only bathing with non-slip matts in the bath, no cycling (easy to fall there, too) etc. Hold tight to the rail going up & down the stairs(?)

FrebbieMisaGREATshag Tue 14-May-13 17:42:58

Are you also asking them to keep her in at playtime?

heggiehog Tue 14-May-13 18:14:38

Are you asking them to keep her in at playtime too? That's when most accidents happen.

numbum Tue 14-May-13 18:36:36

How old is she? As others have asked, are you telling them to keep her in at playtime too? Are you making sure she just sits on the sofa at home and doesn't move in case she trips over? hmm

Slightly OTT in my opinion!

Wolfiefan Tue 14-May-13 18:43:01

I've never heard of a child missing PE for a similar reason. What else are you stopping her doing so she doesn't get injured?

GraniaPringle Tue 14-May-13 19:33:35

I'm not stopping her doing anything - she has chosen to be very careful about what she is doing for the next two weeks until the competition is over.

She's 11yo in Y6 so they don't tend to run round at playtime - rather they gossip and giggle in a corner.

Thanks for your responses, I accept that I am being a bit PFB.

BoundandRebound Tue 14-May-13 19:41:16

She's year 6

Wow

UniS Tue 14-May-13 19:45:07

A year 6 girl is surely capable of playing rounders so VERY badly that she doesn't run, saunters between bases and is out ASAP .

Panzee Tue 14-May-13 20:18:14

I am a teacher and I would let your daughter off rounders for a temporary period, which is what you're asking for.

UniS, I'm shocked at the number of children who don't do 'just enough' not to get noticed. grin Or is that a skill for secondary? There's one girl who always causes trouble on PE day because she hates it so much. I don't blame her, I hated PE at that age. But she won't learn to go through the motions (I've tried to help her!) grin

spanieleyes Tue 14-May-13 20:19:18

Well, half my Year 6 girls do! I have one who has never broken into more than a quick amble all year. They are very good at avoiding moving at anything above snail's pace, no matter how loudly the boys yell at them to get a shift on!

Wellthen Tue 14-May-13 20:22:38

PE is in the curriculum. You dont get to chose what parts of the curriculum she does outside of RE and SRE. I wouldn't give permission - I hate this pick and choose attitude.

Madamecastafiore Tue 14-May-13 20:22:48

Ask that one of her friends run for her.

Mind you I don't remember in 7 years of playing at school anyone injuring themselves. Probably more chance of falling up or down steps.

Panzee Tue 14-May-13 20:24:57

Spanieleyes that actually makes me feel better! Under the radar is a good skill IMO.

boardingschoolbaby Tue 14-May-13 20:27:24

It seems a little bit of an over reaction- we have had students training for diving in the Olympics who have still taken part in their PE lessons. I would have thought just the usual precautions of not over pushing herself would be plenty to keep her injury free. Good luck to her with the dancing.

lljkk Wed 15-May-13 11:33:16

lol @ UniS; my y6 DD is sports mad but appreciates she's an oddball for it.

DeWe Wed 15-May-13 13:47:53

I think the problem you're up against is that although you think your dd's competition is one of a kind, once children start being withdrawn because of possible injury there are lots of other outside activities that could say similar.

For example, in the last year both my dd s have done instrument exams. An injured arm would stop the exam. Dd2 has been involved in two paralympic connected events which she needed to be fit for. All three of my dc have had various theatrical performances which they couldn't do with broken limbs/twisted ankles etc.
We have also had auditions for theatrical parts, holidays that them being injured would be a pain for, workshops they've been looking forward to and I've paid for, sporting competitions, important exams.
All of these things I could reasonably say that an injury would prevent them from doing.

Now you will think, "but this is different. It's a one off. I'm not asking for anything else".
But if your teacher lets her off, then other parents may well request for any of the above reasons. And if the teacher allows one, then others may well follow.

Dancergirl Wed 15-May-13 14:06:15

I am assuming this is All England finals?

My own dd is a regular festival competitor and has got through to the regional finals. It wouldn't have even occurred to me to keep her off PE, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now