ORT - Levels, Book Bands and Stages !!

(15 Posts)
Morningnovice Mon 13-May-13 20:22:13

Hello All,

My DC in reception has book that says its level 4 (The Spaceship). How do I find out which Book band and ORT stage this book relates to?

Thanks for your help :-)

caffeinated Mon 13-May-13 20:23:57

Level 4 is Ort stage

caffeinated Mon 13-May-13 20:24:59

Blue b

caffeinated Mon 13-May-13 20:25:27

Blue book band. Google reading chest they have a useful chart.

Morningnovice Mon 13-May-13 20:35:15

Thanks for your replies :-) I did google reading chest and I got what you said. I guess if everything goes at an average rate then at the end of reception DC should be at stage 6 - orange band or am I missing something.

Periwinkle007 Mon 13-May-13 20:46:03

reading is an odd one with how they progress. Stage 4 now could mean your DC might end reception on stage 4, might be stage 5, could shoot up to stage 7. you just can't predict it. Book band orange/6 would, for an average child, be reached somewhere towards their 6th birthday so for most children Yr1 at some point (at least that is how I understand it)

letseatgrandma Mon 13-May-13 20:51:19

Thanks for your replies :-) I did google reading chest and I got what you said. I guess if everything goes at an average rate then at the end of reception DC should be at stage 6 - orange band or am I missing something.

Reception children are aged 4-5, so would be on yellow band by the end of the year (assuming that chart is correct ;) )

Year 1 children are aged 5-6, so on stage 6, orange band.

simpson Mon 13-May-13 21:10:45

The reception class I help in like the kids to get to yellow level (3) by the end of the year (or higher if they are able to obviously!)

Periwinkle007 Mon 13-May-13 21:10:59

http://www.oxfordreadingtree.com/chart/ shows the Oxford Reading Tree levels relating to book bands

noramum Tue 14-May-13 07:16:39

I wouldn't worry too much what your child is supposed to be at when YR ended. DD was max on 3-4, their school had a different scheme until February this year, and was not keen in reading at all. One year later she is on purple and on fast track to the next band.

Oh and she isn't even 6 but some of the older children are still on blue/orange. So even age doesn't mean a lot at this stage.

redskyatnight Tue 14-May-13 08:33:42

Blue is above average for Reception. Orange/Turquoise is what DD's school aim for at the end of Y1.

learnandsay Tue 14-May-13 09:08:43

I distinctly get the impression that reading schemes are systems of the last resort not the first resort. If children are capable of more the scheme isn't what determines that; it's the teachers and their helpers who do (or don't.) That's got nothing to do with the scheme itself.

learnandsay Tue 14-May-13 09:13:36

I think some maths computer programmes exist which increase the difficulty of the child's questions automatically. Such a system would obviously be more representative of a child's ability.

Maybe one day they'll exist for reading.

noramum Tue 14-May-13 12:08:25

It also depends on the style of book. DD's school has some ORT books, the rest are all kind of fiction and non-fiction ones including lots of toddler style books DD loves to read as it feels more to a real book than Chip, Kipper and Biff's strange adventures.

Morningnovice Tue 14-May-13 16:58:08

Thanks for the replies. DC is born in November so is 5 and in Reception so I got myself confused easily done for me ;-).I will go down to the library to get some variety in books :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now