Talk

Advanced search

Second lot of allocations for primary

(17 Posts)
Dalulu Sat 11-May-13 00:40:03

When I got onto council about where my daughter is on list they said they are still waiting on people to accept that they're still getting late answers etc (even thou they were meant to be in for the 1st. May) they said if there's places remaining they will be allocating these on 23rd May does anyone know how this works???

Dalulu Sat 11-May-13 00:41:28

This is what I got from them

Our position states that we ‘may’ withdraw a school offer. We are currently updating the huge volume of replies manually onto our databases.
We then pass this information to the schools.
Local authorities then exchange this information.
We will be updating all VA schools of additional waiting lists requests in readiness for our 2nd round of allocations on 23rd May.
Regards
School Admissions

admission Sat 11-May-13 17:28:47

The admission code says that admission authorities cannot simply withdraw places if the parents do not reply. They need to say reply by a certain date which is what has happened. If they do not reply by that date then the admission authority has to write to them again and give them another deadline after which their place may be withdrawn. What most admission authorities do is write again and give them a deadline to reply which is usually something like a week after they should have received the letter.
Obviously those who have replied and rejected the place offered, create an opening at a school and this is what will happen after the 23rd May. Those parents who have not replied will potentially loose their place sometime in June if they do not reply. However you do need to know that some admission authorities are better at sorting out the non-replies than others!

Dalulu Sat 11-May-13 22:57:48

Thanks so much admission smile
Speaking with a mum today at ballet and she was telling me about a lady that's accepted public school and is waiting on private so I guess people r still waiting on the results of private schools....

admission Sun 12-May-13 11:52:38

That is definitely part of the "game" that goes on every year as parents make final decisions about what they believe will be best for their child's education. What they do not seem to realise is the agony and heartache it then causes among other parents who have not got a place in a school.

3MonthMaid Sun 12-May-13 11:59:04

Yes, for our very very oversubscribed school I know of two children who have accepted places but may very likely go private. They won't make the final decision for some time yet so places will come up, but for the parents on the waking list it's a gamble!

meditrina Sun 12-May-13 12:04:18

Most private school make their offers in December or January for the following September, and nearly all of them have done so by March.

By now, it's much more likely that family is on a private school waiting list in case of a late withdrawal or no show.

Dalulu Sun 12-May-13 13:12:52

Yes we've heard of a woman that decided to send her kid private got the place but still accepted the place at faith school 'in case' they changed their mind.... I think its terrible on their part like that knowing there's kids screaming out for such places....

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 12-May-13 20:04:04

Dalulu but someone will get that place eventually and in the meantime a parent could lose their job etc meaning private school was no longer possible.

Dalulu Tue 14-May-13 09:33:40

I still think its unfair accepting two places especially on those that don't have such choice this typical family will be loosing no job etc... The gentlemans kids wit his wife all go private but the lady he is now with their au pair decided she was going to do public but obviously the gentleman thinks this isn't right that his other three child receive private whilst his kid wit her goes public.... When asked by one of the ladies who didnt receive a place at this school to why she accepted both places the answer was because I can....... Rude... Especially when we know she has no intention of going to public school but yet another parent has to sweat it out til the end!!!!!

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 14-May-13 09:39:30

I didn't apply to state school but I would have thought that anyone Jo is considering private would have had to have made a financial commitment by now.

Dd us entering private secondary in September. We had to pay a substantial deposit by the end of January to secure the place and as the notice period is a full term anyone who didnt withdraw by April now has to pay a terms fees in lieu if they decide not to take up the place.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 14-May-13 09:40:34

The same terms applied to private primary.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 16-May-13 09:21:29

Sure, but if someone books a private operation and they get to the top of the NHS waiting list in the meantime, they get to go on the NHS. Same thing.

queenfromars Thu 16-May-13 20:24:01

We dont reply to our admission authority to accept places, they just assume we take them up. But looking on their website, it says a mini admissions round takes place on the 24th - how can that work if they are assuming that all the places will be taken up?

Dalulu Fri 17-May-13 14:40:58

I went to the school yesterday to hand in our appeal we've found out they've received late applications they're still getting replies and the waiting list has now been sorted my daughter is 4th on the list but two people have not accepted the place so that makes my daughter second unless the governors decide someone else takes priority etc I'm just hoping after they look into our appeal they'll decide she needs a place and keep her second and if the two top people on the list are happy with their choices that they don't accept the 2 places that are available alot of hoping isn't it lol.... But I'm going to stay positive and keep her on the waiting list if she doesn't get in by September I'll keep her on it for the following year too people move so often these days so fingers crossed smile

tiggytape Fri 17-May-13 14:48:43

queenfromas - because some people will contact the council to tell them they don't need the place since they are moving abroad, going private or home schooling.
Only the people who don't reply at all (in oyur area - it is different in other areas) are assumed to be accepting.

Dalulu - the strength of your appeal will have no influence on your waiting list position - the two things are entirely separate. Hopefully though, if the other people formally decline their offers, you will move up 2 places very soon.

Dalulu Sat 18-May-13 09:42:40

That's it, so with them accepting it'll put us 2nd so that's what's keeping me positive... We were 52 yards from the last offer place so the other 3 in front of us even closer... Has to be the most stressful time in a parents life... Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now