Talk

Advanced search

Moving through the reading levels. How to help

(10 Posts)
Waferthinmint Fri 10-May-13 14:37:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

freetrait Fri 10-May-13 14:43:36

Get her some other books too, or if you have already then encourage her with these other than all the focus going on the school books. Seems a bit strange to me to be on the same stage as in December, do you think she has progressed? Can she read harder books than these?

learnandsay Fri 10-May-13 14:44:17

She's going to get a new teacher next year, probably, so the "problem," if the problem is the teacher, might go away all by itself.

If it's a teacher perceived "she doesn't answer comprehension questions properly," issue there might be no way you can help because one person's answer is another person's mistake.

It might be worth asking the teacher straight out why your daughter isn't progressing. She might have been overlooked and the teacher might move her up significantly upon your reminding her. It has happened before.

Periwinkle007 Fri 10-May-13 14:48:09

I think it is worth asking 'what can we work on/focus on with her reading at home in order to help her progress?'

perfectly valid question, not asking to be moved up but asking what it is they are waiting for her to demonstrate an ability to do and if there is something specific then you can practice that with her and if there isn't then perhaps it opens up for you to say that she isn't enjoying the non fiction books so you wonder if some more magic key books might get her enthusiastic again as you are worrying she is losing interest.

we had a bit of a sticking point at level 6 for expression. The things they were really looking for other than accuracy and fluency and an ability to tackle new words seemed to be expression, intonation and comprehension/prediction skills.

does she still get listened to at school at least once a week?

Waferthinmint Fri 10-May-13 18:22:49

Rooble Fri 10-May-13 18:27:20

We have the same issue - I'm not convinced they're being properly assessed (they seem to have an assessment splurge every so often and you find your child bizarrely leaping six levels at once).
I just decided to sod the reading scheme and concentrate on reading enjoyable things from home.

Periwinkle007 Fri 10-May-13 19:03:33

the problem is whilst I agree with the teachers that you need an easier book in order for them to be able to focus on the expression without having to worry about words they don't know, you do also need to have an INTERESTING book which will INSPIRE and ENCOURAGE the use of expression!

my daughter said she felt silly so I told her to imagine she was doing a play to the teachers and that it was her 'performing' the book. sure enough that did the trick and expression suddenly became excellent at school (even though it always had been at home...)

MilkRunningOutAgain Fri 10-May-13 20:55:53

My daughter uses lots of expression at home reading to me, but is far too shy to replicate this at school. She has a lovely but quite full on, loud teacher and finds it difficult to answer questions though her comprehension is great. I've given up, she finds me talking to the teacher a problem as the teacher then rushes up to dd and tries to encourage her which has the opposite effect. She's been on the same level since November and I can't see her moving on til we get a new teacher next year. Meanwhile she's starting on chapter books at home and is enjoying reading , so really I'm not bothered about the scheme and seem to have persuaded dd that it doesn't matter either.

itsnothingoriginal Sat 11-May-13 20:45:46

It's massively frustrating to stay at the same level especially if the choice of books isn't very inspiring! We stayed for 2 whole terms on on ORT level 8 and and we just gave up on the books in the end and got loads out of the library. When dd did finally get assessed she moved up several levels.

I totally agree that expression comes from interest and enthusiasm for a book and also agree about going back to easier books where she's confident of the words for expression like The Gruffalo for example.

BTW none of our yr 1 cohort is free reading - just doesn't happen in our school until yr 2 at the earliest. Level 6 would be a good reader for yr 1 here!

Waferthinmint Sat 11-May-13 20:58:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now