Talk

Advanced search

Moving school for Yr 6

(4 Posts)
Maeinha Thu 09-May-13 13:19:58

Hi
We're about to move house within the same district, but a good 25 minute drive away from our current school. DS2 is just finishing Yr 5. He struggled for several years with lack of self-confidence, both socially and academically, and has finally found his feet in the last 18 months or so, with lots of help and support from teachers. I've just visited the (possible) new school and liked it very much, but really don't know if this is the right time to move him, with the secondary move coming up so soon. Has anyone had this experience and can offer any insights/tips/advice?
many thanks

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Thu 09-May-13 13:42:58

How much overlap is there between schools at secondary level, and how many schools do they tend to feed into?

If the new school would result in him making a group of friends he could carry into secondary then that's a bit different to two new starts in two years isn't it?

Flyonthewindscreen Thu 09-May-13 14:43:57

If the new potential primary school is a feeder for the secondary school your DS is likely to go to, with a large group of the class going to that secondary, then it might be a good idea to move him. Otherwise he may as well stay where he is and not have the disruption of new schools two years on the trot imo. What does your DS think about it?

Maeinha Tue 14-May-13 14:30:44

These are the points that the Senior Teacher at the new school raised: yes, he would be moving with new friends (assuming he has some by then - this is the big worry) as most of the kids at the new school go to the same secondary, where we hope he'll go.
DS is not keen at all to move. I talked gently about the idea of visiting the new school this morning and he got very upset. sad
Thanks for advice: I think we have to move very slowly on this one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now