Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for books around level 6/7?

(8 Posts)
beanandspud Wed 08-May-13 22:29:06

I'm looking for suggestions for books to buy for DS who is reading approximately level 6/7 (orange/turquoise). He's doing well with school reading books but I'm looking for ideas for other books that we can read together or that he can begin to read for himself.

He quite likes the Horrid Henry 'Early Readers' if that helps. All suggestions gratefully received.

caffeinated Wed 08-May-13 23:10:42

Ahlberg happy families books
Magic treehouse

freetrait Wed 08-May-13 23:23:37

Try the library. Orchard crunchies have a variety of stuff-not sure what level in particular, but both my kids (6 and 4) like these- www.amazon.co.uk/The-Slippery-Wallpaper-Monster-Frog/dp/1843622300/ref=pd_sim_b_1

actually too hard for the 4 year old to read and sort of too easy for the 6 year old (although he chose it), they both love the antics of monster.

There are the seriously silly stories too www.amazon.co.uk/White-Seven-Aliens-Seriously-Stories/dp/1841214027/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368051490&sr=1-3&keywords=seriously+silly, but I think they're a bit harder. Magic treehouse are not that hard to read, but it depends on how old your kid is, DS in YR found them too long, but loves them in Y1.

Usborne series are good, series one for level 6/7 maybe, oh yes Blue Bananas! Some very good stories there- again I'm not sure of the levels, some might be a bit hard for 6/7 but not bad...

simpson Wed 08-May-13 23:26:57

Definately Happy Families books (mr Creep the Crook etc), DD (5) likes the early reader books ie The kitten with no name, Flat Stanley (you can get some more basic ones rather than the tougher chapter ones).

It might be worth looking at your local library for the bananas reading books (I think it's yellow, then blue then red) for some very easy chapter books...

I would also look at Frog and Toad books (DD still re-reads these now), Topsy and Tim (DD loves them still), seriously silly stories (Little Red Riding Wolf etc), Dr Suess...I will think of more I am sure!!

Periwinkle007 Thu 09-May-13 10:28:53

if he is reading the horrid henry early readers then he is able to read higher than level 6/7 (they are about level 9ish) so in that case you could look at blue or red (some of the red ones are harder than others - blue is about level 7/8 and red is about level 9/10 I think but it does depend on the titles) bananas like Simpson has said, or the usborne first readers series one (or they might be young readers series one, can't remember but you will be able to look them up on their website - things like stories of pirates and the such, nice books, my daughter likes the fairy and princess ones but lots of boy type ones too) Usborne beginners non fiction ones are level 8 and they are good, space, under the sea, animals, science, nature and so on and good for introducing non fiction styles. what else erm Sainsburys have just issued a load of early reader type books, they are the Corgi first readers/used to be corgi pups. I think there are 20 in total, £3 each (but libraries probably have them as corgi pups I would think) and lots of topics for boys/girls/both so bound to be something there he would like.

others, Winnie the Witch is level 8 (might appeal to him as well as she isn't a girly witch at all)

This is the Bear books are about level 6 if I remember right
The Large Family ones are level 9
Meg and Mog are 6ish
Mog the cat
Elmer the elephant

basically just about anything is worth a try now.

Periwinkle007 Thu 09-May-13 10:38:43

there are some listed on here which are normal picture story books but it lists them in reading level bands to give an idea.

beanandspud Thu 09-May-13 11:00:53

There are some great ideas, thank you very much for all of the suggestions - much appreciated grin

Periwinkle007 Thu 09-May-13 11:16:56

sorry - forgot the link http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1pda5/BookBandedReadingBox/resources/6.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now