Talk

Advanced search

starting reception.... got some worries...

(14 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Fri 19-May-06 22:18:45

Message withdrawn

nutcracker Fri 19-May-06 22:20:25

It doesn't sound too bad tbh. Dd's reception class had 29 and only one teacher and one assistant.

I can see why you'd be concerned if it has changed from what you were expecting though.

hulababy Fri 19-May-06 22:20:47

Not sure what you can do anout it YG, sadly. Seems a lot of children in one classroom. Do they have the room in there for them all? And will the extra staff be a teacher or an assistant?

You may find that some do drop out between now and September for various reasons. Often at least one or two do.

Sorry you have this concern to deal with after being so happy with your choice.

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 22:21:06

Not sure what you can do about it tbh. Would it not be an idea to let her start and see how things go? If you complained or pulled her out what are the alternatives?

Tommy Fri 19-May-06 22:22:20

sure when I was at school there were sometimes nearly 40 of us is a classroom!
Sounds fine to me but, as others have said, there's not much you can do about it.

GDG Fri 19-May-06 22:22:23

I don't think I'd be too worried - not ecstatic but I'd stick with it. Ds1 has lost 4 children from his reception class already due to moving with parents jobs so it could be that it goes back down to 30 before too long anyway.

It's a lot of people in one room but 2 teachers to 32 is better than 1 teacher to 30 isn't it?

Yorkiegirl Fri 19-May-06 22:22:58

Message withdrawn

GeorginaA Fri 19-May-06 22:30:35

Yorkie - ds1 was in a reception class of 45 this year (with 2 teachers). It seems to work quite well - the group gets split into various combinations for various things and they have a fair few teaching assistants too.

I wouldn't have chosen to do it that way personally, but ds1 seems to be doing well and gained loads of confidence. Bizarrely it seems to have worked okay.

I'd be interested in chatting to the staff there, find out how they're going to deal with it and what strategies they have. How they're going to split groups and make sure everyone gets the attention they need. Then go with your gut feeling

GeorginaA Fri 19-May-06 22:38:03

(I say was ... lol ... he still is I'm obviously brain dead this evening... )

blueteddy Fri 19-May-06 22:42:46

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Fri 19-May-06 23:29:41

Message withdrawn

singersgirl Fri 19-May-06 23:33:14

There have been 31 in DS2's reception class this year coz of one child with special needs, who therefore gets part-time extra help and means they can go over 30 (at least, that's what the head said). TBH, I don't think the difference between 30 and 31 is that significant. As GDG says, there are often leavers and by Y3, DS1's class is down to 27.

Pisces Fri 19-May-06 23:49:07

Yorkiegirl, you are a teacher yourself. Is your class in mayhem with 30 pupils? I thought not! You would not allow it and neither will the TWO teachers in the class. What difference would an extra 2 make? I know we all would prefer smaller classes but there is not a lot we can do about it. Remember the good old bad days when classes were more than 30 anyway!! Between now and September I have no doubt one or two will drop out anyway. Don't worry, it will be alright.

Yorkiegirl Fri 19-May-06 23:55:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: