Talk

Advanced search

Photography after-school club?

(3 Posts)
SparklyStream Tue 07-May-13 21:02:58

Have any mums/dads out there ever run one? How did you go about it?

Ferguson Sat 11-May-13 23:36:02

Hi - retired TA (male) here -

I haven't run a Photography club, but I did teach 'informal' recorder playing for ten years (ie not 'studying' music in a serious way, but just introducing Yr2 to recorder.) Also did keyboard playing with Yr6 where they connected their own keyboards to the school Clavinova and a sequencer for programming music/rhythms, again in a 'fun' way, nothing too serious. (this was 20 years ago, so the technology has obviously moved on hugely.)

Also, 40 or so years ago I did have my own photographic darkroom in a spare 'kitchen', and was a reasonably competent photographer, and developed and printed black & white enlargements. Most of my colour photographs were as 35mm transparencies processed by Kodak.

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems slightly strange that you want to run the club, yet don't have sufficient knowledge about it that you need to inquire on here?

Presumably you MUST be thinking of DIGITAL photography, so I assume you have some knowledge of connecting cameras to computers, handling the files, the different file formats, etc. Then there may be programs for post-processing (I think they call it) to alter colours, correct errors, change colour to black & white, sharpen or soften outlines or textures etc.

You would need to liaise closely with the school ICT coordinator, and be aware of what areas of a computer or network your club could use, and know about security and data- and child- protection regulations. For instance, any picture of children uploaded on the the Internet might require written approval from parents, and children should not be identified by name. Ideally, a stand-alone computer NOT connected to the Internet would be safest, as then it couldn't be shared on-line, but school probably won't have a spare PC lying around!

Another possibility would be the £25 Raspberry Pi, which I think might be coming into use in a few schools. That would probably require someone with computer programming knowledge, and I think they run LINUX but might be adaptable to Windows; if you have an area ICT adviser (or secondary school ICT contact) they could probably help you. This gives the background to Raspberry Pi : www.raspberrypi.org/about

From an 'artistic' point of view, the rules for Photography are much the same as for ordinary drawing and painting - simply stated, 'rule of thirds',
balance of shapes, tones, lines. But in my experience, some of the best photos are produced when rules are BROKEN!

Personally, I would also like to think that such a club should should TRY to RAISE the standard of pictures produced. There are a lot of brilliant photos on the Internet, but there is a much greater volume of rubbish that should never have been taken! If possible use decent cameras, and not blurred and shaky MOBILE PHONES (though these are also improving rapidly.)

To make it easier for yourself try to start with the higher age groups, and get them to understand they are aiming to produce something WORTHWHILE, and not just 'messing around' for the fun of it. Have subjects in mind; set assignments that the children can work on; possibly tie-in with other events in school, ie, book week, sports day etc.

I hope I have not painted too bleak or daunting a view of this endeavour; look for other Photo clubs on-line, or try secondary schools or colleges who might run something similar. If I can help anymore, please come back to me.

Above all : MAKE SURE YOU ALL STAY SAFE !

Ferguson Sun 12-May-13 17:52:00

Hi again -

Out of interest I had a look today what schools were doing in the way of Photography Clubs, and these are just a few I found :

www.chuterede.com/photography.asp

www.photography-forum.org/showthread.php/28795-School-Photography-Club

www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?102968-I-ve-been-asked-if-I-d-run-a-primary-school-photography-club

www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=207656

www.lakenhamprimaryschool.co.uk/children/clubs/photography-club-gallery/

Hope this gives you some ideas and encouragement to give it a go.
cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now