Stonehenge22 Tue 07-May-13 15:25:43

Hi there

We're shortly to move to north Barnes and I have been
To visit lowther and really liked it - only we can't
Apply (for reception this coming September -ek) until
We are properly there.

I wondered if anyone had experience of this school
But also if in previous years places did come up for
Reception - either shortly before or after start of term?

Also the 'council estate' it is in looks really nice to me - is it an okay place to live - I really liked its proximity
To both Barnes village and hammersmith tube.

I've looked on mumsnet and everyone seems to rave about Barnes Primary - as such I feel move to be near lowther might be a bit more realistic!

Any help gratefully received

Xx

narmada Tue 07-May-13 19:09:50

Have you spoken to the LA? They might be able to give you some advice. When you say you're moving soon, how soon is that? There will be various cut-off dates that it would be as well to be aware of.

I would imagine there will be a waiting list and where you are on the list will depend on the school's admissions criteria. E.g., the list isn't maintained in order of when you asked to be put on it, but in line with the normal admissions criteria. If you live 2 metres away from the school you're likely to shoot straight to near the top of the list (providing there are no siblings waiting for places).

Stonehenge22 Wed 08-May-13 06:24:46

Hi thanks for that - I've tried calling the la but their
Answer phone message says they are too busy to take
Calls! Will keep trying to get through to them

X

Fizzypop001 Wed 08-May-13 11:05:41

if you look under richmond under local title on mumsnet there is a thread on this school or you could just click on search and put the school name and the thread should come up

Fizzypop001 Wed 08-May-13 11:06:30

go to local and click on richmond

Elibean Wed 08-May-13 11:16:44

Hi,

I'm a parent at Lowther (two dds) and have always loved it, as have the girls. dd1 once said to me (when in Y1, as far as I remember) in all seriousness that she would be heartbroken if I ever moved her grin

Yes, places can and do come up after initial list goes out, and as Reception is two form entry now the pressure has eased a little.

Please feel free to pm me if you'd like any specific info.

Re the estate, I have several friends who live there, or have moved there, but don't live on it myself - I could easily put you in touch with those who do, if you like. From what I know, it's a very friendly community, and about 50% privately owned these days.

Good luck, hope you get your place!

Elibean Wed 08-May-13 11:18:46

ps We looked at Barnes Primary too, but preferred Lowther. I think it depends what your priorities are, and Lowther just happened to fit ours like a glove.

Stonehenge22 Wed 08-May-13 14:02:09

O thanks will look

Stonehenge22 Wed 08-May-13 14:03:31

Thanks elibean - will go and have a good look round

Xx

Mrsrobertduvall Wed 08-May-13 15:27:52

Lowther is lovely..I have worked there and found everyone very friendly. Lovely feel to the school.
More so than others.

Eleya Tue 14-May-13 23:07:34

Lowther is great. We love it!

lililolo Tue 09-Jul-13 01:03:09

We moved to North Barnes (from Mortlake) because our daughter got a place in Lowther. We haven't looked back. Love Lowther, love North Barnes -- you'll have a ball smile

Happyday3 Sun 16-Nov-14 10:46:25

Hi
I have the chance to move to a small end terrace semi in the old Castelnau housing estate (nice garden)in North Barnes (from Islington N1(in a 3 bed victorian town house conversion upside diwn house lots of stairs small patio)or to move to Nw10 just off chamberlayne road to a 3/4 bed victorian house small patio (kensal Green/rise area) close to Queenspark.
The school we would be closest to in Barnes is Lowther- is it still doing well in the kids/parents views? Is the housing estate safe & ok for a teen & two toddlers? Would you opt for a victorian 4 bed in Nw10 instead & a place in the Spanish school in Portobello or is North Barnes the best life for a young family? I dont drive yet. I have my eldest at the Spanish school for at least another 2 years. So could possibly travel there daily with my 3 girls. The joy of the lovely green open space in Barnes is very tempting. Just want this to be my last move & the right choice. Any advice is welcome- thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now