Talk

Advanced search

Reception teachers: what skills would you like children to have before they start school?

(8 Posts)
notwoo Mon 06-May-13 07:14:05

I'm thinking things like: going to toilet, recognising name, getting dressed, keeping track of belongings etc.

Anything else that would make your jobs easier?!

Sirzy Mon 06-May-13 07:19:28

Being able to feed themself, open things in packed lunch if they are having packed lunch

goinggetstough Mon 06-May-13 07:21:13

If you google reception and skills a number of previous threads come up which should answer your question.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1133300-What-skills-should-my-DS-have-when-starting-reception/AllOnOnePage
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/a1650476-What-would-you-expect-an-average-Reception-child-to-be-able-to-do
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1135677-what-should-my-DS-be-able-to-do-before-starting-reception-in-sept-2011/AllOnOnePage

mrz Mon 06-May-13 07:22:10

if they are having school lunch - using a knife and fork
hanging up their own coat and bag and knowing which is theirs
take turns

sarararararah Mon 06-May-13 18:11:00

Know how to ask an adult for help if they need it and how to tell an adult if they have a problem.

ReadytoOrderSir Mon 06-May-13 20:23:48

Blow their own nose and wipe their own bum.

Dress and undress to/from uniform and PE kit, including shoes (and tights for girls). Amazing how many DCs go to school with lace-up trainers but can't tie laces!

Do up own coat.

Periwinkle007 Mon 06-May-13 20:30:07

not a teacher but as another parent who has had to stand outside the classroom door waiting for all the children to be ready before they can let them out and other people's little darlings seeming to be completely clueless about putting their coat on, picking up bag, which lunchbox belongs to them etc.

lots of children can't start a zip at 4 so I am not expecting that but being ready to do things like put their arms in and so on so they don't hold everyone else up.

I think we were asked to make sure they could use cutlery if school dinners, go to the toilet themselves, get dressed themselves, read their nametapes and know where they would be so they can check if it is their cardigan etc, being able to listen to instructions and ask if they need to.

notwoo Mon 06-May-13 22:19:22

Thanks. We're not too far off with most things - and I'm hoping a bit of peer pressure will help with things like cutlery & coat which she can do but often doesn't.

Laces - not a chance - will get velcro trainers for PE

Uniform is a shirt and tie - I'm assuming you can get elastic ties or similar but all those little buttons worry me. It takes her ages to do buttons.

Taking turns, listening to instructions, asking for help etc - I'm assuming she's getting the hang of these in a group situation from pre-school but will make sure I reinforce at home.

Reading nametapes should be ok but good idea to make sure she knows where they are!

All v exciting - can you tell she's my pfb?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now