Talk

Advanced search

Alexandra Road Primary, Kingston

(4 Posts)
CherryEmma Sat 04-May-13 17:55:38

We have a place for pre-school starting in September. However, our DD is very happy in a private nursery, where they will accept pre-school vouchers. We're going to keep her where she is but would love for her to attend the school next year.

My MiL thinks I should make an appt with the school secretary to keep them sweet when it comes to a reception place next Sept. I know for a fact that the pre-school is not a feed into reception places but she still thinks I should discuss our position with them.

Is she right?

Going to also post this on Kingston site (I am the Local Editor smile) but not many people are using the Talk Board http://local.mumsnet.com/Talk/kingston-upon-thames/local-active sad. If you could be using Local but aren't, could you let me know what's stopping you? What could/should we be doing to lure you over there too?

Thanks!

tiggytape Sat 04-May-13 18:39:04

No - she isn't right in the sense that it won't make any difference whether you keep the school sweet or not.

Admissions for primary and Infant schools take place via the council you live in. The Head Teacher of the school has no involvement with admissions at all so it doesn't matter whether she likes you or not!

You can speak to her of course - she will tell you roughly how close you have to live in order to get a place but she has no discretion or any say whatsoever in who gets a place.

In 2012, a child without siblings needed to live no further than 0.552km from Alexandra Road Infants to get a place (35 out of 90 places went to siblings)

Your MIL is right that in days long ago, parents could put a child's name down at a school, go on an interest list or even beg the Head directly for a place. It isn't like that anymore. It is all done via the council using high tech software to measure distances and see who qualifies and who doesn't.

CherryEmma Sat 04-May-13 22:19:02

Thank you tiggytape, just what I needed to hear!

We live 300m away and when we had open day at the school, they said that anything past 600m wouldn't get in.

Just out of interest, are you a user of Local Kingston, the talk boards or otherwise? Trying to build up momentum in the community/fb but nobody seems to be biting confused

tiggytape Sat 04-May-13 22:33:51

That sounds very positive CherryEmma - you are very close and it is a 90 intake so that's all good news.
I'm not on the Kingston boards as I'm in a different London Borough (I'm not on their boards either though - I never seem to find the local threads)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now