Talk

Advanced search

Good Spelling Exercises for Year 1

(4 Posts)
Swiish Fri 03-May-13 21:21:46

My DS is in year 1 and loves spelling, but doesn't get much spelling homework from school.

Could anyone recommend any good ways to encourage children to spell at home? Preferably something I can print off or write, as DS likes to write (rather than type on the computer) and he needs to practise his writing.

Thank you.

goodgrief54 Fri 03-May-13 21:29:32

lists are fab smile . ask them to write a list of what you may see when u go for a walk and get them to tick off when u see them. birthday present lists good. my two love tests too,especially whilst driving somewhere and do it in a 'game show' style. reading eggs is a good www too for English games.. just make it fun. good lucksmile

Ferguson Sun 05-May-13 20:24:13

Hi (retired TA here) :

extending on from gg54 good ideas, listing types of traffic seen on a walk, or passing the house, either car; bike; motorbike; van; lorry; bus; taxi etc, or if he recognises makes of cars list those. Count how many of each (by tallying) then draw little pictures of the appropriate number, or make a bar-chart, to find the most common.

Could also do with sorts of birds seen on a walk; or breeds of dogs (but KEEP SAFE); types of trees; shops in the High Street.

(if I get any more ideas I'll come back sometime.)

(have a good May Day.)

mrz Sun 05-May-13 21:12:22

www.spelfabet.com.au/tests/introduction/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now