Talk

Advanced search

Different teachers, different levels?

(6 Posts)
Lucky13 Thu 02-May-13 23:28:21

My DDs class teacher is often away from the class and a couple of different teachers cover for her. Whenever one particular teacher covers her lessons she moves DD down a group and gives her reading books at least two bands lower.
This never bothered me at first, but the cover is getting more frequent and DD says it's boring. She says she doesn't like the teacher as she doesn't let her do group work. DD doesn't understand and thinks she has done something wrong to not be allowed to stay with the group.
She is a shy child and her confidence is easily knocked. She thinks she is being punished as someone else takes her place.
As soon as the class teacher is back, DD is back in her group and gets appropriate books and seems happy. Would you say anything to the class teacher or not?
Also to clarify that it is just DD who is moved to let someone else take her place and no one else in can the class.

cornflakegirl Thu 02-May-13 23:32:00

Yes, I would say something - I would say exactly what you have written. DD may have misunderstood what is going on, but if it is bothering her it's definitely worth asking for clarification. It sounds very odd!

Periwinkle007 Fri 03-May-13 09:57:57

sounds very strange. I would definitely mention it, tell the teacher what your daughter has said is happening. If another teacher is moving her then she would surely have to tell the class teacher and give a reason for it. Is there another child with the same name in the class and the other teacher has them mixed up?

learnandsay Fri 03-May-13 10:15:29

I'd ask the proper teacher to sort the other teacher out.

christinarossetti Fri 03-May-13 11:12:11

How old is your dd just out of interest?

This sounds very odd indeed, and you definitely need to speak with the regular class teacher about it.

DeWe Fri 03-May-13 11:40:19

Does the cover always so the same time? If so, it might be that, for some reason, for that particular thing your dd is working with a different group.
My ds (year 1) works with a different group when one teacher takes his class. He's commented on it. I know (from speaking to the teacher) that it's because this particular teacher takes Wednesday afternoon and they have sorted it so a few of the children who need extra SALT work together then. To him he's been put in a different group by that teacher, when really it's just when the SALT is available and irrelevant to that teacher.

It's worth asking the teacher to find her angle on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now