Talk

Advanced search

additional help required-what do I do?

(5 Posts)
ariane5 Wed 01-May-13 22:22:27

Dd2 due to start reception in sep 2014, she has complex health needs what and when do I need to do? She will need 1:1 help for at least part of the day.

We are out of catchment but siblings have priority and ds attends so its 99.9 p cent that she will get a place-do I approach the school now for advice given that she will likely get a place or will they only advise when a place allocated (next april-too late to apply for funding etc???)

Iam very confused sad

Dd has ehlers danlos syndrome so experiences severe pain, fatigue and dislocations. She has t 1 diabetes so will need her blood sugar checking (she will still be too young to do it and interpret results and if hypo wouldn't be capable as often gets shaky/loses conciousness). She would need an injection at lunchtime (dose would have to be calculated as we carb count) and supervision in playground in case of hypo etc.

She has no learning difficulties and is v bright so lea said she wouldn't get a statement but when hypo/hyper it affects her concentration, mood etc and affects her ability to do things so in essence would cause difficulty with learning sometimes.

I have no idea what to do or who to go to for help.

notapizzaeater Wed 01-May-13 22:24:34

I'd make an appointment and discuss it with the head teacher, they can then point you in the right direction and tell out what they can and can't do.

ariane5 Wed 01-May-13 22:28:45

Thankyou I will do that. I'm so completely confused I don't have a clue what I'm meant to do.

EmmaGellerGreen Wed 01-May-13 23:32:10

There is a boy in ds's reception class with t1 diabetes and I know that there is a Rota with contingencies in place for testing etc 3/4 times daily which work well. Suggest you have an early meeting with the head and/or senco asap so they can start to plan / train staff.

RueDeWakening Thu 02-May-13 11:13:20

CWD have some information about kids with T1D at school which you might find helpful -
the UK version and UK info from a PDF from 2007.

There's also information for schools via JDRF: here.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now