Talk

Advanced search

IPad apps for infants

(15 Posts)
MrsHende Wed 01-May-13 20:50:00

Hi all, my school are considering getting iPads for each child. I teach primary 1 and I'm wondering if any of you know of any apps that would be useful for me? I'm not an iPad user till just yesterday (happy birthday to me!), so haven't really a clue where to begin.

Can any other teachers or parents of 5-7 year olds make any recommendations - or, if this has been done before, point me in the direction of the thread!

Thanks

jellysmum77 Wed 01-May-13 21:46:55

Hi
Mr Thorne does phonics has a good range of apps based on letters and sounds.
xx.

SparklyStream Wed 01-May-13 21:59:15

Hello there, I'm interested in suggesting this to our local school. Do you mind me asking - is it a state school? How was it funded?

Imsosorryalan Wed 01-May-13 22:03:32

Hmm my 5 year old loves:

Anything by toca boca
Reading eggs
Futuba
DK my first words
Buzzle
Endless ABC

SavoyCabbage Wed 01-May-13 22:03:36

Bugs and buttons is great and there's a maths one too made by the same people.

MrsHende Wed 01-May-13 22:16:38

Fantastic! Thank you guys and keep them coming!

We're an independent school and the parents are going to lease them, we're considering whether to let them bring in their own devices but it would be very easy to manage if they were all leased, for example I could upload an app to all the devices at once.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 01-May-13 23:27:35

DD's school introduced iPads at the end of last term years 1 and 2 have mini iPads the rest of the juniors ordinary iPads. The got lots of advice from Apple about the best apps. They use A+ for spelling, puppet pals, ebook maker, mathletics, and a multitude of others. I am astounded after such a short time how slick she is at creating e-books etc.
The school own the iPads and provide the Apps. There are contracts for both children and parents with rules of use.

kilmuir Thu 02-May-13 12:17:33

pocket phonics and the spider one for practising letter formation, name escapes me

spottyparrot Thu 02-May-13 12:21:47

Hungry fish is a maths app used in our school

LizzyRose Thu 02-May-13 14:36:02

There are lots of good app links here www.apps4primaryschools.co.uk/
I have tried are the Collins Big Cat story apps with my 5 year old. They are free and brilliant.

tholeon Thu 02-May-13 19:46:18

There is one called maths 4-6 which my nearly 4 year old loves.

Milzy Fri 03-May-13 11:37:10

My dc uses a lovely maths app called komodo, www.komodomaths.com.

Goldchilled7up Fri 03-May-13 23:05:03

Pocket phonics is excellent

HeatherBon Sat 04-May-13 13:42:52

I can second Toca Boca - our kids love them.

MrsHende Sun 05-May-13 21:38:23

You are all fantastic! Thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now