Talk

Advanced search

Stressing about school move

(7 Posts)
Osmiornica Wed 01-May-13 18:01:43

We've not even put the house on the market yet but I'm already stressing about moving schools.

My major worry is what happens if we move to an area and they don't have spaces in the local primary? We can't apply until we have exchanged contracts and that won't be for a while yet so unlikely to be before the start of the school year - not that that makes any difference though as the applications are already in.

prh47bridge Wed 01-May-13 18:05:29

You will be offered a place somewhere even if all the schools are full.

Osmiornica Wed 01-May-13 18:14:17

I thought that would be the case but it would then have to be in the next village so miles away and they'd then find it very hard to make new friends if all the local children are at the local school and they live nowhere near where they're new school friends are.

Is it the case that the school will fill up the places with applications from outside the catchment so the only schools with places will be the ones noone wants to go to.

It's going to be hard enough for them moving so far away as it it. I'm beginning to think this is a very bad idea.

tiggytape Thu 02-May-13 09:48:38

Osmiornica - yes a school that hasn't filled all its places with in-catchment children will allocate remaining places to out of-catchment people who have requested a place there.

Schools don't save spaces for people who may move later to inside their catchment.

It depends on where you are moving too. In some areas, the only schools with vacancies are the ones nobody wants whereas other areas have more school places than children and perfectly good schools have places spare.

When you have exchanged contracts, if you have moved close to the school you want, you will be placed higher up any waiting list than people who live further away from the school. It then depends if anyone leaves as to whether / how soon you get an offer.

If the children are Y3-Y6 you can also try to appeal for a place (below Yr3, laws about class sizes make appeals unlikely to succeed if the classes have 30 children)

Osmiornica Thu 02-May-13 12:58:47

Thanks Tiggytape smile

Flyonthewindscreen Thu 02-May-13 14:21:34

Do you have specific villages/schools in mind? We last moved house just after my DS started reception. Before we made an offer on a house I contacted the local school to make sure there were spaces in reception. It would have worried me to move house and then hang around potentially for years waiting for a place at the local school to be available and driving to a school further away (and away from new local friends) in the meantime.

sultan3 Fri 03-May-13 13:45:18

i have recently moved to new property and my son is in reception class i really want him to stay at that school i have to drive twice daily for ten minutes but i also school have right beside the new house can some one advice me on how i can compare to schools one is campsbourne primary school and the other one is chestnuts primary school. im sooo confused i have seen the new school its almost the same teaching wise food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now