Talk

Advanced search

moving schools - when to start new school?

(4 Posts)
chickabilla Wed 01-May-13 16:13:53

We are moving house hopefully on Thursday 23rd may, a couple of days before half term. It's a big move (2 hours) and DS1 (year 1) will be starting a new school. I think it would be best if he starts at the new school the first day back after half term which would mean he has Thursday and Friday before half-term off school. Has anyone had a small gap between schools for moving? Would we need to apply for authorised absence from his current school for Thursday and Friday? He has only ever had 1 other day off school and that was an authorised day for visiting the new school.

PlasticLentilWeaver Wed 01-May-13 16:24:30

Yes, it would need to be authorised. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Good luck with the move. We did a similar thing in the summer half term last year and I am so glad we moved so DS1 could have some time in the new school before summer holidays as he was no longer the new boy by September.

Now about to move again locally....

chickabilla Wed 01-May-13 16:30:00

Thanks for replying. I will put a request in for absence on those days then and hope it all goes through when it is supposed to. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you. Good luck with your move!

pimmsgalore Thu 02-May-13 13:53:42

We move regularly with DHs job and I just put on the new school form date we want the school place from and then when you fill in date last attended school put the date that you want them to leave old school. Have just done it for our move over half term and didn't get queried. I am sending DD off to stay with grandparents whilst we move, I don't need her helping unpack grin also her half term is different to where we are going to so she wouldn't get one if I put her in school straight away

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now