Talk

Advanced search

YEAR 2 SATS - What should I know?

(6 Posts)
sparkler1 Thu 18-May-06 10:31:28

DD1's (6) year group are due to do their SATS - possibly starting next week. I don't feel that I have had much information regarding them and would like to know more.
Can anyone enlighten me please?

PanicPants Thu 18-May-06 10:37:14

I'm a Y2 teacher so here's a breakdown of what they have to do:

Reading comprehension (split into 2 parts, level 2 and level 3) some children will only do one of these depending on what level they're at.

Numeracy - selection of number and topic problems, very few sums, rather lots of word type problems, again split into level 2 and level 3.

Spellings

HAndwriting mark

Writing - 2 pieces split into fiction and non fiction.

The mark for the writing is very complicated. You get a mark for the handwriting, a mark for the spellings, and then several marks for different components in the writing pieces for punctuation, content, use of language etc. These are added up and then converted into a level.

It's not worth doig any 'practise' now with your dd it's too late, but she may not even know she's doing them anyway!

sparkler1 Thu 18-May-06 10:39:08

Thanks PanicPants. What is the outcome of the results?

PanicPants Thu 18-May-06 10:42:43

The results get fed back to the LA, and probably influence what class she'll be in next year. Other than that they may be used to set next years targets as we have to break down each child's test papers to see (for maths for example she may have answered most questions right but found fractions too hard) where there are any gaps in their skills.

Other than that - not a lot! I wouldn't worry about them!

sparkler1 Thu 18-May-06 10:45:24

Ok thanks ever so much. Not worried as such - it's all new to me so just want to know what dd is going through.
Some parents at the school gate are getting on my nerves about the whole thing at the moment. Telling their children that they have to work extra specially hard next week etc. FGS! I haven't said anything to dd about it - just want to her to carry on as she is doing.

kid Mon 22-May-06 21:46:46

DD did all of her sats a few weeks ago, she seemed to panic and did really badly. I have seen her results and am shocked by them. I don't agree with them at all (the tests, not the results).

I'm interested to see if the school are going to pick up on the fact DD has fallen down a level. Not sure whether to ask them what they are going to do or wait and see if they intend to do anything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: