Talk

Advanced search

Are there any laws regarding the size a classroom must be?

(3 Posts)
Eachpeachpearwherestheplum Sun 28-Apr-13 22:17:37

30 children, especially in kS2 when they are so much bigger! My sons 1 form village school has always had around 17ish pupils per year group. As it has grown in popularity, classes in Reception and Year 1 are now 30. The classrooms are tiny and the head says there is no funding for building work. I was wondering how on earth 30 were going to fit and if any laws applied here!?
I found this www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/roomspace.htm but I dont think classrooms count?!

tiggytape Sun 28-Apr-13 22:36:11

There are rules as to how big new classrooms must be if a council or organisation are building them from scratch. These don't apply retrospectively though so they don't have to expand old classrooms to make them the size we'd expect new classrooms to be built to.

The new size for 30 primary aged children is 62 square metres. This applies to KS1 and KS2. The old size was 48 and then 52 square metres for 30 primary children

That saying, it does still have to be safe and there has to be room for the teacher and children to physically move around so if classrooms are much smaller than even the oldest standard, they sometimes have a PAN (admission number) below 30 to reflect this.

prh47bridge Sun 28-Apr-13 22:39:45

There are guidelines but no laws. The current method for assessing the net capacity of a primary school says that you need 49m2 in the classroom plus a further 14m2 of ancillary space for 30 children, i.e. 63m2 in total. The ancillary space cannot be the school hall. It must be predominantly teaching space - either part of the classroom or a shared teaching area.

Having said that, many older schools do not comply with this guideline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now