Talk

Advanced search

How strict are you on home work? (Y1)

(10 Posts)
Dorange Sun 28-Apr-13 16:57:22

Do you help a lot? Do you help at all? Do you help but let them do their own thing overlooking the mistakes? Do you push for perfection?
What and how do you do it?
My (just) 6 years old have good weeks and bad weeks homework wise...and I just don't know how I should deal with it.

noramum Sun 28-Apr-13 17:56:46

Our homework is designed to do with the child. Often it is a task related to the current topic. For example this week they learned about water so they had to do a tally chart how often they use water for different purposes.

Last week they had to write a bit about the seaside and why the like a particular beach.

DD writes herself but we correct her spelling. She could write more but often doesn't want to so we leave it but sneak writing in other weekend task like a shopping list.

She should have gotten her maths workbook we can do during the term in our time and we normally do one task per week, sometimes two depending on her mood.

I think she has to learn that homework is a must but at the moment I am not too concerned if it not perfect.

GoingToBedfordshire Sun 28-Apr-13 18:07:03

Not too bothered. Dd1 usually has a numeracy worksheet and spellings to learn. Spellings get stuck on the wall in the kitchen and she usually writes them out once or twice over the week. She doesn't always do the numeracy work although I always suggest she has a go. I do not help at all apart from checking she has understood the task.

She loves reading and does that every day and I do not believe homework at this age has any significant impact upon learning. I would much rather she was reading/playing/drawing at home.

culturemulcher Sun 28-Apr-13 18:16:08

I'm a bit of a stickler for homework, I think, even though I HATE the fact that primary school kids are given it.

I run through their spellings with them just about every day (Y1 and Y4). If it's a week with particularly tricky spellings we'll sometimes do them over breakfast and again before tea time. I'll make sure they're getting them all right before they do the test at school.

With maths I'll sit with the younger one and help where needed - but I'll write on the sheet which questions DC needed help with so the teacher knows.

And - blush - I get them to write their sentences out on rough paper first, before they write them up neatly into their homework books.

Harridan

RueDeWakening Sun 28-Apr-13 18:18:51

Depends on what it is!

Words - she normally gets 5 or 6 a week to put into a sentence of her own devising. She just gets a reminder that school expect her to use her best handwriting. She completes it sat at the kitchen table while I'm cooking dinner normally, so I'll answer any questions or sometimes remind her to think about describing words or connectives (or whatever her current literacy target is).

Maths - she gets a game to play or a worksheet to complete over the weekend. She normally plays the games with her dad (I can't stand them and he doesn't generally mind), the worksheet is normally done like the words are, at the kitchen table without direct supervision but with an adult in the room pottering around.

Reading is non-negotiable and done at bedtime with whoever is putting her to bed.

Routine is key though - homework is ideally done the day it comes home if possible, or the day after if not but for eg this weekend we've been out/busy, she hasn't done her maths game so will have to do that after school tomorrow, which will bump tomorrow's words to Tuesday after school.

ArtexMonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 18:28:11

Exactly what Goingtobedfordshire said. My dd doesn't get much at all thank goodness, and if she wants to do it I'll give her any help she feels she needs (although she does by and large like to do things by herself), but if she doesn't feel like it, I don't make her <shrug> and school seems fine with that.

I don't want school and learning to be a pain in the arse for her or a battleground, she's far too little for that still.

CheesyPoofs Sun 28-Apr-13 18:39:59

My year 1 child doesn't get any homework apart from reading books.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 28-Apr-13 18:48:12

I so wish we didn't get homework. Readings a given but there's nothing they can set that an extra hour in bed or playing outside wouldn't achieve. I'm all for supporting learning but 4/5/6 is stupidly young to be tied to the table doing homework. They should come home, eat play watch tv and sleep.

noramum Sun 28-Apr-13 19:07:24

Interesting. I prefer homework. I see it as a chanc to know what's going on in school and also if my child has understood the topic.

As all ther workbooks stay at school I otherwise hardy see anything they do and how it is done.

Luckily we don't have any spellings.

hophophippidtyhop Sun 28-Apr-13 21:33:23

My dd currently gets a sheet of maths homework to be done over the weekend, and a longer project at the beginning of each half term, to be ready the end of each half term. Last couple of weeks has involved measuring things (snakes, triangles) and the longer project is to make a sea creature. Previous ones have been, write a rainforest rap, a poster about penguins, and make a prop for a fairytale character and come dressed as your favourite one ( rapunzel - long crepe paper plait attached to crown.)
I try to make sure she understands the homework and not do it for her, just gentle guidence or get her to check what she's done and see if she can spot any mistakes, which she usually does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now