Advanced search

ready for books?

(16 Posts)
BlackeyedSusan Sat 27-Apr-13 23:28:36

a child who decodes cvc words one at a time... eg

big pen...

decodes big.
decodes pen
has absolutely no idea what the first word said without decoding again.

thinks "oo" makes the sound "uh-oo" (ie both the common sounds, uh as in book and oo as in moon)

is not consistently blending cvc words. eg... b-a-d ="bat"
l-o-g = gog
h-o-p= pop

sounds out tricky words incorrectly... t-h-e =the
n-o (short o) =no

can manage to decode 6 cvc words before flagging.

NaturalBaby Sat 27-Apr-13 23:50:07

How old are they?

mrz Sun 28-Apr-13 10:06:52

"thinks "oo" makes the sound "uh-oo" (ie both the common sounds, uh as in book and oo as in moon)"

Has the child been taught using Jolly Phonics?

Your description fits a child taught mixed methods.

maizieD Sun 28-Apr-13 13:45:51

Has the child been taught using Jolly Phonics?

Your description fits a child taught mixed methods.

Are you suggesting that JP is 'mixed methods' mrz?

Sounds like a child with possible working memory difficulties or just not enough practice to achieve automatic and rapid recall of correspondences.

mrz Sun 28-Apr-13 14:12:02

No maizie I'm suggesting that the spelling <oo> in Jolly Phonics is taught as the two sounds oo *oo^ (cuckcoo popping out action) and this may explain the "uh-oo" response the OP describes.

I'm also suggesting that t-h-e = the could be down to mixed methods and that b-a-d ="bat" could be a child encouraged to guess and who hasn't been taught to blend correctly.

mrz Sun 28-Apr-13 14:12:48

oo OO

daftdame Sun 28-Apr-13 14:47:01

I think the short answer is 'Yes, this child is ready for books!'

Now as to where next in teaching to read, the child can decode some words, although unreliably.

I would definitely share books with the child, read stories and encourage any joining in. Where next in terms of teaching to read would depend on what has been taught and how successfully.

christinarossetti Sun 28-Apr-13 14:50:26

How old is the child?

learnandsay Sun 28-Apr-13 15:59:46

I'd say he's ready for words. There's nothing necessarily magical about the fact that they're in a book, sometimes the opposite. If you write them on a piece of paper then you can decide which words and how big they are.

noramum Sun 28-Apr-13 17:58:25

We got books from the first time they had all the sounds of the letter of the alphabet. We never had proper CVC list (what are they actually?).

DD learned additional sounds by reading and being read to. I find it more important to learn sounds in context not by a list.

mrz Sun 28-Apr-13 18:17:03

There isn't a cvc list as such. cvc means consonant vowel consonant so words like cat, dog, mum, bag, fish, chip, rain, chick, shine are all cvc words.

I would give reading scheme books as soon as a child can blend sounds to read the words which for some children may be as soon as the first 8 sounds have been learnt.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 29-Apr-13 12:34:05

he is 4 in reception. he will not read books. he loves sharing books which we do at bedtime and will read the odd cvc word/decodable common words. (in, it, ) in the books we are reading.

he likes "homework" which is currently practising reading 2 cvc words in a row. we instigated homework on the advice of the child development unit when he as diagnosed with autism.

he started to blend mid february, can't segment yet.

he has picked up the vocabulary "tricky word" but hasn't got the concept that the letters have different sounds.

sorry I was a bit misleading in that he has been ready to share books for long while, will even attempt a word or two in picture books.

working memory could be an issue worth looking into.

daftdame Mon 29-Apr-13 13:20:16

It does sound like he has been making progression in that he will read the words he has been given for homework and pick out words he knows from picture books.

Regarding 'not reading books', what books are you referring to? Do the books contain the words from the lists you have been doing with him and he does not read the words if they are contained in a book? Is the different context causing some kind of anxiety?

You could try sharing the book as you do the picture books he will pick out words from - for example have the reading book as a bedtime story (so the routine replicates one he likes).

I still think this is very early days - since he is still only 4, he is probably still perfecting his decoding skills. Have you asked his teacher about this?

daftdame Mon 29-Apr-13 14:01:33

If you think his working memory may be an issue do working memory type problems manifest in any other contexts?

noramum Mon 29-Apr-13 15:46:13

Thanks Mrz. Strange that our school never mentions any system like CVC words or similar. But again, they have a system of reading together and building the children's part slowly than giving them any kind of structured reading scheme. We also don't do spelling.

For DD it worked really well.

mrz Mon 29-Apr-13 18:07:01

It's just a shorthand term used to describe three sound words noramum

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now