Talk

Advanced search

How much silent reading in Yr1?

(10 Posts)
lecce Sat 27-Apr-13 10:52:55

Ds is in a mixed Yr1&2 class and is on ORT stage 9 books (gold?)

He usually has two books in his book-bag and he has the opportunity to change them himself from the relevant shelf daily, afaik. Over the last few weeks, it has become increasingly the case that he has already read the books he brings home during the 'settling down' reading they do after lunch. He is able to tell me the plot in some detail and I glance through to check he's right and, so far, he is.

I have a couple of concerns about this. Firstly, I can't ask him the prediction-type questions when he's already read it. How important is that? Secondly, it seems an awful lot of time to be sitting reading. These books are 30 pages long with a fair amount of text. Reading aloud, he would take 4/5 nights to get through them. I know silent reading is quicker and, when he finds the odd word he doesn't know he just brushes over it, but it still seems like a lot.

Could this mean the books are too easy for him if he can manage them alone like this? He is currently reading 'How to train your dragon' alone at home ( we read together as well) but I have never worried about whether school books could be too easy as I assumed they were covering other skills in guided reading and waiting for him to give detailed answers to comprehension questions etc.

Should I insist that he tells the teacher when he has finished a book, or is it beneficial for him to read it to me as well?

My final worry is that he could be ducking out of activities and choosing to read instead. I have had concerns about him socially in the past and he has only been in this school since Feb. He says he's fine and mentions friends (though we have had no invites anywhere yet), dh thinks he's fine (does all school contact) and the teacher says he's fine (I have mentioned my concerns). But I just can't understand how he's reading so much!

How does it sound to others - particularly those who have had experience of what goes on in the typical Y1 class?

learnandsay Sat 27-Apr-13 11:11:47

lecce, I take your post as a niggle rather than a full blown worry. My own personal view is that it's great and fantastic if children love books and reading. You can always invent a game where he writes down the words that he doesn't know and you look them up together next day. Personally I would check first whether or not he is ducking out of other activities. He might be so good at reading that he is able to handle both the reading and the other activities at the same time. That should please you. If the teacher is one of these always at the school gates/ approachable types perhaps you could have a general non specific chat with her at pick up time one afternoon.

simpson Sat 27-Apr-13 11:19:29

I had this with DS in yr2 (that he had finished the book before he got home) and I had a word with his teacher about it and he then gave either 2 books at a time or 1 longer one.

Prediction type questions are important but can be done in any book not just school ones obviously. You can still do the "How does X feel?" Or "What would you do?" Or "If X hadn't done Y what would have happened/been different" etc...

lecce Sat 27-Apr-13 11:21:33

Yes, certainly a niggle but, one of the problems we have is that I work and dh is sahd. I never get to do pick-ups or drop-offs (only managed one a few weeks ago because my own school was having a snow day).
Dh is so laid-back and will not raise anything unless it's life or death, or unless I go on and on about it. In this way, niggles grow into full-blown worries.

I am certainly pleased he loves reading - dh says I always have to find something to worry about smile.

bubblesinthesky Sat 27-Apr-13 11:22:28

I think it sounds really good. He's obviously reached a stage where he reads for pleasure and does not need to read every word out loud.

DD was on gold level at about this stage in year 1 and is now in year 2 bringing home full books - 200+ pages and believe me you do not want to listen to them reading every word of those!! She also started doing silent reading after lunch in year 1 and also reads to herself in bed for about half an hour after her bed time story

Its good that he enjoys reading to himself. It is a real pleasure to see dd curled up in an arm chair enjoying her book

If you're worried about him socially could you help by inviting a couple of the friends he's talked about round for a couple of hours during the weekend? Sometimes these things need a kickstart especially as he started at the school mid year

learnandsay Sat 27-Apr-13 11:22:35

Oh, right. Can you email the teacher?

MissFredi Sat 27-Apr-13 12:08:21

I see where your coming from about the books being too easy. This happened to me in primary school, other kids would struggle while I finished the book. I wouldn't say I was gifted, just a very strong reader.

The way my parents solved it was to encourage me to read more challenging books at home. Luckily Harry Potter came out at the same time so I cracked on with those while other kids floundered over The Hungry Caterpillar or whatever it was back then.

I also attempted to read some of my dad's Stephen King but I wouldn't recommend it for a child - I was just nosy wink

daftdame Sun 28-Apr-13 16:08:44

I think independent / silent reading is good as surely it is a primary aim to enable children to be able to enjoy books independently.

If you are concerned about how well he is decoding words / fluency / expression etc why not get him to re- read a section to you or take in turns to read dialogue in character's voices etc.

If the books are relatively short you could read yourself quickly so you can ask more pertinent questions about the text so you can see what his comprehension is like. You could find out from the teacher what type of questions you should be asking him.

If you do this you will have a better idea of how challenging the books are for him.

As far as avoiding other activities I would just encourage them instead of worrying that his reading is swallowing up his free time. You could get him some books related to sport / other hobbies to see if this sparks any further interest.

jamtoast12 Sun 28-Apr-13 17:45:49

DS is stage 12 and still makes mistakes with the odd word, misses words out or says the wrong ending etc when reading aloud. I would worry that with silent reading, that he would be reading but not actually doing it as well as he could be. I still insist on reading outloud together as do the school.

50shadesofvomit Sun 28-Apr-13 17:50:27

My son is on Gold and often flicks through the pictures so knows what the twist in a story will be. Could your son be doing the same?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now