Talk

Advanced search

BTL and admissions

(10 Posts)
charlottenina Fri 26-Apr-13 22:16:31

currently have residential mortgae and planning to buy BTL - can I leave with my DD in BTL as it is closer to my work. Can I apply for school places using BTL address? Does the borough know that this is BTL address? I presume BTL properties will have council tax as normal?

prh47bridge Fri 26-Apr-13 22:38:23

The council will know that you have two properties as you will be paying council tax on both. They may look on the arrangement with suspicion, particularly if you don't rent out your current home or the buy to let property is near a popular school. If they think the buy to let address is a temporary ruse to get a place at a popular school they will use your current address to decide you application. And if, as you seem to suggest, your intention is to use the buy to let property to get a school place then return to your current home you would clearly be breaking the rules and the council would be entitled to remove any school place you were offered even after your daughter starts school.

tiggytape Fri 26-Apr-13 22:51:33

They will know you have 2 addresses so if the BTL is closer to the school you want, I think they will be suspicious and keep an eye on what you do.

Technically there's not a lot they can do about it if you tell them you've moved and you do gentuinely move to the BTL house and in some way dispose of the old house (sell it or let it out).
BUT, if at any point you move back to your 'real' house, it becomes fraud and any school place you got using the BTL address can be withdrawn.

Even if you move back to your 'real' house after September, they can (and will) withdraw the place and force your child to leave the school. For oversubscribed schools especially, councils take a tough stance on this otherwise everyone would be renting and buying temporary houses all over the place to win a good school place.

You are allowed to move house.
The mortgage type doesn't matter
But if you have 2 houses you cannot switch your address just for a school place and then switch it back again no mater whether you buy or rent the new address.

PanelChair Fri 26-Apr-13 23:08:01

In addition, if the purpose of the BTL is to rent it out every year to people who want to use it to get a place at a popular school, the address may end up on the LEA's list of addresses from which all applications are looked on with suspicion and are very rigorously investigated.

charlottenina Sat 27-Apr-13 05:48:38

my btl would be in a different borough, so residential address is in different borough to the shcool - so the council would not see that 2 council tax are paid?

prh47bridge Sat 27-Apr-13 07:12:39

There are other ways of checking. One way or another it is quite likely the council will know that you own two properties.

thereonthestair Sat 27-Apr-13 08:27:58

I do I'd checks through equifax as part of my job. It always throws up btl properties as this is also a flag for Id fraud.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 27-Apr-13 08:33:56

They have other things they can check - GP registration is one, I think.

LIZS Sat 27-Apr-13 08:34:18

If you live in it it isn't a BTL confused

tiggytape Sat 27-Apr-13 12:02:34

If you move into the priority / catchment area of a very popular school and immediately apply for a place, this in itself can cause suspicion that the move may not be genuine.

In such cases, the council can check land registry, the address the primary school has registered for you, DVLA and all sorts of other records. They have to be sure places are handed out fairly as when a school is very oversubscribed because people are sometimes tempted to cheat to get a place.

If your old house is disposed of, that will be the end of it.
If however they find you have 2 addresses (as you will), the council are entitled to decide which is your real one -and they can say it isn't the one you are living in otherwise of course people would move in with friends and relatives or temporary addresses for a few months.
If they accept the new address is genuine but you then move back to your old house after gaining a good school place using that new address, the school place can be removed from you as that is also considered fraud. Obviously the fallout from this would be awful as at that point your child may well have been at school months and be settled and happy so being forced to leave would be horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now