Talk

Advanced search

phonics based reading schemes. any reserch on the best one?

(28 Posts)
BlackeyedSusan Thu 25-Apr-13 21:41:30

oh primary reading gurus... do any of you know of any research that recommends one synthetic phonics reading scheme over another/mixed use of phonics reading schemes?

or research on generic scheme, verses tailor made phonics work for an individual child. (1:1 work by teacher say)

learnandsay Thu 25-Apr-13 22:19:46

I don't know the answers, but why are you asking? I didn't know any phonics scheme (and still don't) but had no trouble teaching my daughter(+) to read. The most important ingredients are letters, stories, words, books and repetition.

ReallyTired Thu 25-Apr-13 22:30:27

I have no idea if there is research on the various schemes.

I suspect that a lot depends on the age of the learner and personal preference. Many schools mix and match various schemes. My children's school uses jolly phonics in the foundation stage and Ruth Miskin in year 1 and 2. There is also a government Letter and Sounds scheme that has resources.

Prehaps you be better asking the reading reform foundation forum your question. rrf.org.uk/messageforum/

lougle Thu 25-Apr-13 22:33:23

I don't know the answer. I do know that DD2 has made great strides since changing schools. Her new school uses Read Write Inc. and splits the children into groups according to ability across year groups, regularly mixing them.

DD2 has grown in confidence and decoding ability in just a few short weeks.

Malaleuca Fri 26-Apr-13 00:19:58

There is no definitive research comparing programmes that I am aware of. If there was, I'd be using that programme that delivered the most consistent results!
There are some programmes that have had far more extensive trialling, testing, refining, over longer periods, than others. Amongst these are the DI programmes like Reading Mastery, and the BRI reading books from www.piperbooks.co.uk

jamtoast12 Fri 26-Apr-13 06:59:24

Our school has also recently brought in read write inc and I too have noticed a massive improvement in my dcs in the past half term. In yr R and yr 2

christinarossetti Fri 26-Apr-13 07:28:04

IMHE, it's less the scheme than the way it is implemented and taught which makes the difference.

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 07:40:24

The number of phonic schemes available is expanding rapidly so I think it is is unlikely you will find any comparison data.

The DfE has a list of approved programmes that meet their criteria but some (IMHO) good materials have not been included.

Limelight Fri 26-Apr-13 07:42:25

Genuinely I have no idea what phonics scheme DS school uses. After showing no interest whatsoever he suddenly learnt to read over the course of a fortnight however.

To be honest, I think much of that was because he LOVES stories. We read and read and read to him (instigated by him) and he got impatient with having to wait for us to be around. Kids are very resourceful grin

CalicoRose Fri 26-Apr-13 10:36:56

What about the Clackmanshire Study ?

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 16:42:13

Clackmannanshire didn't look at specific reading schemes

maizieD Fri 26-Apr-13 19:00:45

Are we talking about phonics based reading schemes or phonics programmes? There is a difference...wink

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 19:16:14

The thread title stipulates reading schemes

maizieD Fri 26-Apr-13 21:38:23

Yes, but it seems to have wandered into programmes...

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 21:41:39

true ...

ipadquietly Fri 26-Apr-13 21:50:11

I think a study should be done. After all, you can hardly say 'phonics works' if a variety of schemes are used with no comparative measure of efficacy.

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 21:59:41

Unfortunately you can have a top quality scheme but if the teaching isn't top quality the results won't reflect this.

Millais Fri 26-Apr-13 22:05:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ipadquietly Fri 26-Apr-13 22:10:09

That's true mrz, there are many variables to consider (demographics, scheme, class size, etc).
So I guess we have to just accept that phonics works for most children, with mediocre to good teaching, using any published scheme?

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 22:18:48

and it's five years old and in the past five years there have been a considerable number of phonic schemes published. Lots of the programmes in the Brookes research use mixed methods.

mrz Fri 26-Apr-13 22:25:15

I don't think demographics, class size etc are as important as is a well trained teacher but unfortunately few teachers are well trained.

maizieD Fri 26-Apr-13 22:35:08

I think you'll find that most of the published schemes are very similar. They certainly work on the same principle of teaching children how letters represent the sounds in words, working from simple to complex and what to do with this knowledge. There are differences between programmes but in the hands of a teacher who understands the principles of phonic work they are all, to my knowledge, very successful.

It is doubtful if there will ever be any research carried out into the significance of inter programme differences because research is just so expensive and has to be driven by a real interest in the outcome. Which I don't think really exists among those who would be most able to set it in motion.

maizieD Fri 26-Apr-13 22:39:30

and it's five years old

Err, I think you'll find that a new one has been recently published. It has the same old mix of good and indifferent in it. I do think that people should be aware that the 'studies' used as evidence for the programmes are not very rigorous and are mostly supplied by the proponents of the programmes. Which is not to say that they are all rubbish, just to exercise caution about the conclusions.

mrz Sat 27-Apr-13 19:11:17

Sorry I thought the 2007 was the newest ... do you have a link maizie?

Millais Sat 27-Apr-13 22:20:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now