Talk

Advanced search

If you were teaching 6 year olds to read, would you "do" these digraphs in one fell swoop?

(7 Posts)
Greythorne Thu 25-Apr-13 17:02:03

Sh
Th
Ch
Wh
Ph

?

mrz Thu 25-Apr-13 17:19:28

No I would teach them separately

learnandsay Thu 25-Apr-13 17:22:53

Have they seen them/used them before and just forgotten/got rusty/ or do they not know what they are?

CecilyP Thu 25-Apr-13 17:26:04

I would be inclined to teach th and sh first as they are in so many common words. Followed by wh which is in many high freqency words. Ch would follow some time later. Ph can be left for a bit as it isn't in any high frequency words, or in most of the words that feature in early reading books.

Greythorne Thu 25-Apr-13 17:35:49

Quite.

It seems like madness to me.

We are in France and the French school have sent home a sheet with 4 sounds which are incredibly similar in spelling and pronunciation:

ouille
oeille
eille
aille

I just cannot believe it. It is completely confusing.

I gave the examples of sh / ch / ph / wh as these seem the closest English equivalent but honestly I think these sounds are even harder to differentiate than the ones I gave in English.

I will never understand the methods here.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

learnandsay Thu 25-Apr-13 17:39:57

If that happened to me I'd write a funny poem using the different sounds and illustrate it for her. Is your French up to it?

TheChaoGoesMu Thu 25-Apr-13 17:43:31

I'd work on each one separately. Get some books that repeat those sounds and work through them. And get her writing and saying them. Is there a french version of the jolly phonics songs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now