Talk

Advanced search

Reception class appeal, is this a good enough reason.

(12 Posts)
Kt8791 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:50:43

Is this reason worth appealing over.

We moved house a week after the deadline for changing address (mid feb) but we had exchanged in time, only a week between exhanhing and completing. The Lea have just published how the places were allocated and had we been able to use our new address we would have got in. I don't want to appeal if we really haven't got a hope but just feel a little frustrated. They have said that I should be near the top of the waiting list but that there are usually a couple of late sibling applications that would be ahead of us. Don't find out waiting list position till 15 th may and think appeals have to be by 16th may.

Also would people move a child once they had already started a school?

Thank you

mummytime Thu 25-Apr-13 13:57:44

I don't think an Infant class size appeal will work.

But I have known children leave each of my 3 DCs reception classes during he first term. One in the first week. (And it is a very popular and good school.). So yes people can give up their place at anytime, for a wide number of reasons.

prh47bridge Thu 25-Apr-13 14:05:57

If it is an infant class size appeal you would need to show that a mistake has been made. Missing out because you didn't move until after the deadline for changing address won't work.

If it is not infant class size you have a better chance but you won't win on this basis. You would need to make a good case as to why this is the right school for your child.

Kt8791 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:22:25

That is what I thought. I don't really have a great reason for why my child should have a place there except that I really loved the school and had my heart set on his going there. They take 90 so hopefully there will be some movement before September.

People have to accept or decline their places by 1st may. Does anyone know what happens if you don't respond, do they chase you or or have you lost your place?

Mandy21 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:27:47

Sorry if this is a silly question but have you checked what the criteria is for determining which is your "permanent" address? In my area, if you're moving into the area, your "permanent" address i.e. the one they use to determine whether you're in catchment etc is your new address if you can demonstrate that you exchanged contracts before the deadline (and in that case, you are entitled to use your new address in the application).

Kt8791 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:23:19

We weren't moving into the area. We moved about a mile down the road. So were in the same area.

mummytime Thu 25-Apr-13 16:01:06

They have to chase you a bit, before they can offer the place.

But with an intake of 90, I would expect some movement.

admission Thu 25-Apr-13 17:15:36

What you need to check is what the admission criteria actually says about people moving house. Most admission authorities talk about change of residency, which is clearly about you moving from one home to another home. However for some authorities it is the date when you exchange contracts, so I would just double check that you are outside the time period. Obviously of you are outside the time period then any appeal will be an infant class size appeal as you have a PAN of 90 and without a mistake, you chances of success are minimal.
The rules around accepting / declining places are that the admission authority have to give the parent another opportunity to respond. So normally they would write saying you need to respond within say 7 days or the place may be withdrawn.

Kt8791 Fri 26-Apr-13 07:30:03

Thank you, I will double check their criteria.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 26-Apr-13 09:17:47

Are you thinking of not responding? You can still appeal if you accept another place.

Kt8791 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:46:19

No, I have already accepted the offered place. Was just wondering what would happen if people forgot to respond. The lea said thy were still waiting on 45 people.

prh47bridge Fri 26-Apr-13 16:25:28

As Admission says, they should write to them again giving them another chance to accept the offered place. If they still fail to respond the LA can offer the places to people on the waiting list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now