Talk

Advanced search

waiting lists, how does it work?

(10 Posts)
drwitch Tue 23-Apr-13 11:04:35

If I accept school A but put myself down for the waiting list for school B and another parent does the reverse and we are both at the top of each list should we both get our preferred school?

christinarossetti Tue 23-Apr-13 15:01:43

You can only be offered a place if there is one so, in the situation you describe, a place would become available once a child leaves one of the schools which could then be offered.

tiggytape Tue 23-Apr-13 16:02:36

In the situation you describe neither of you would get a place necessarily (well not directly from each other anyway):
The person waiting for school A won't get their place from you since you won't decline your place at school A and create a vacancy until you get offered school B.
But the parent holding a place at school B won't decline that place until they get an offer from school A so they won't be creating any vacancy at school B for you to go to.

Of course that is a pretty unlikely scenario because what will hopefully happen is that any random child with an offer at either school A or school B will turn it down. This creates a vacancy that will be offered to you (if it is school B they had an offer for) that you will accept thus creating a vacancy in school A which the other parent waiting will then get offered and a whole cascade will start from there of people accepting a new offer and creating a vacancy in the process.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Tue 23-Apr-13 17:32:10

Also to add that in some areas you would get a place in this scenario. My area does 'reconsideration' - which is essentially where they re-run the allocation process using all the people and places who have asked to go back into the system by 30 April. You are allocated the school automatically if successful, so in your situation both parents would be told they had their preferred school without either having to wait for a space/acceptance process. Only after that process do they run an actual 'waiting list' system.

NickNacks Tue 23-Apr-13 18:47:51

Surely this would only work if you were both at the top of the list too. Not fair if someone closer (if distance criteria) than you is waiting for a place.

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Tue 23-Apr-13 18:59:17

Nick - the OP does say assuming you are both top of the waiting lists.

NickNacks Tue 23-Apr-13 19:02:02

smile oh yes I see that now!

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Tue 23-Apr-13 19:15:47

I think it's the hypothetical ponderings of someone trying to figure out their waiting list chances rather than an actual live situation smile

NickNacks Tue 23-Apr-13 19:21:06

I understand. We started off with no offer, (middle school) the 3rd choice school and now 2nd place school, which we are happy with. Have actually removed DS off the 1st choice waiting list because he just wants security.

I too did all the what ifs! smile

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Tue 23-Apr-13 19:28:25

Me too. We got our third choice (although never actually expected our second) and did all that. Now, to add complexity, I have visited third choice school again and liked it so much I'm wondering whether to go through reconsideration at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now