Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on appealing (late submission)

(5 Posts)
sadmum1000 Mon 22-Apr-13 09:56:44

My friend has not got a place for DD at same school as her sister. She's very upset but knows that she submitted application a day late. She was going through a traumatic period and English is her second language so she got confused by the forms. Has she got any chance of winning an appeal?

SoupDragon Mon 22-Apr-13 10:02:32

Ensure her DDs name is on the waiting list. As a sibling she should be right near the top.

As I understand it there are no grounds for appeal as no mistake has been made by the dmissions team.

lougle Mon 22-Apr-13 10:14:38

It will depend if it is an Infant Class Size appeal. That means that if the class size is 30, or less than 30 but they intend to mix the year groups the following year to make 30 (ie. 15 in reception but then teach y1/y2 together in a class of 30), it's Infant Class Size appeal, and she will be unsuccessful unless the LA have made a mistake.

If it isn't an ICS appeal, then she may win if she can show that the school will be disadvantaged less by her attending than the girl will be if she doesn't get the place.

sadmum1000 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:33:04

It is ICS size and heavily oversubscribed. I do know someone who has won an appeal for late submission but they had quite extreme circumstances. I've offered to help her write appeal as her English isn't good but worried I'm giving her false hope

prh47bridge Mon 22-Apr-13 11:55:50

In that case it is very unlikely she will win an appeal. It can't do any harm to try. She won't be any worse off than she is now and she might get a sympathetic panel willing to stretch the rules. But she needs to be realistic about her chances.

Her child's position on the waiting list is not affected by the fact she submitted her application late. If the school gives sibling priority her daughter should be at or near the head of the waiting list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now