Talk

Advanced search

Waiting lists on primary schools

(9 Posts)
Juniper010 Mon 22-Apr-13 07:31:17

Hi,I live in North Yorkshire,my Little boy didn't get into his first choice of school which is a c of e school but were 1st on the waiting list, how does it work? Because if feel like calling them all the time to see what position were in,I'm waiting for the call!
For our 2nd choice we are 6th on the waiting,we have appealed for both schools because I want the best for our little one, if we went to the c of e school he would have better choice in secondary schools. Thanks

Goldchilled7up Mon 22-Apr-13 07:47:18

Hi Juniper, I can't help much as I also don't know how it all works. We got offered 2nd choice but I hope that we can get on our first choice school by being on the waiting list. I didn't realise they would tell us the positions on the list so soon, did you call the school admissions to find out?

Juniper010 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:07:18

Hi yes,i called them the day after I found out, School addmissions told me for my second choice but they said I had to call the school for the c of e. it's a nightmare if you don't get what you would like.

NynaevesSister Mon 22-Apr-13 08:11:54

All local authorities are different. Some aren't giving out waiting lists till May. Others say that they will not be doing this. Am not sure I'd they can do this.

Appealing is your right and even if there is little hope. They want to know they have done anything. Being number one gives you a good chance of getting in but there is no guarantee you will get the next place that comes up. Someone with more than one child could move into area and get priority on the sibling rule. For example.

If you are going to appeal ask on here. If it is in reception and there are already 30 children in the class, then you are only going to succeed if you can prove a mistake was made that cost your child a place.

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 22-Apr-13 08:12:05

There is nothing stopping you ringing the school frequently to see if there is any movement on the waiting list. However you should be aware that your child's position on the list may move down as well as up.

This is because a school must rank each child on their list according to their admissions criteria not just on a first come, first served basis.

Good luck, it is a very stressful time.

tallulah Mon 22-Apr-13 08:13:09

Is this just the first allocation? We were 2nd on the list for our preferred school on allocation day. Once they'd done the second round, with late applications, we'd gone down to 6th. We stayed on the list all through YR then I made the decision to come off once DD went into Y1.

Juniper010 Mon 22-Apr-13 08:28:51

Ok thanks,they said they have to wait for the letters to come back to see if anyone doesn't want a place for c of e and they would call me,sounds so simple but I no it's not.,I know someone that isn't taking a place there,so I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

tiggytape Mon 22-Apr-13 08:32:57

The councils generally run waiting lists unless the school is an academy or a VA school (a faith school that sets its own admissions criteria)

School offers have been made and the council / school are now waiting for people to reply to say whether they accept or decline their offer.
If anyone declines (eg moving out of area or going private) it creates a vacancy.

That vacancy goes to whoever is number 1 on the list on that day.
It is possible to move up the list (as the people at the top get offers) and down the list (if new people move to the area and live closer than you do or have a sibling in another year group) so your position can change

Being number 1 on the list means you are likely to get an offer in most cases unless the school you want has a tiny intake or is the kind of school nobody rejects or ever leaves. Being low on the list decreases your chances of getting a place unless it is a large intake or a school in an area where people move all the time.

The waiting lists are held until at least Christmas and sometimes beyond.

prh47bridge Mon 22-Apr-13 09:34:38

sounds so simple but I know it's not

Yes, it really is that simple. If someone declines their offer and you are number one on the waiting list you will get the place.

In your OP you say you have appealed. You should be aware that most primary school appeals are held under infant class size rules which means you should only win if you can show a mistake has been made and your son should have got a place. If they don't have classes of 30 in Reception, Y1 or Y2 you will have a better chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now