Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Appeal for primary school!

(6 Posts)
Kimm2013 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:52:21

Hello fellow mums, experts, admissions expert, dads, etc

Advice needed, how to get a successful appeal for a oversubscribed, 'outstanding' school!!

So, upsetting my daughter did not get a place, she's made friends, loves nursery, loves the teachers, is not good with change!!

Any advice please!!!!

AuntieStella Fri 19-Apr-13 14:03:09

The first thing you should do is accept the offer you have. Tis makes no difference to your appeal, and means you won't be left high and dry with no offer at all. Also, get onto the waiting list for the school you want.

Assuming this is for reception, it's almost certainly under the Infant Class Size rules (legal limit of 30 pupils per teacher): is the admission number a multiple of 30 (sometimes 15 if there is mixed year teaching anywhere in KS1)?

If so, an appeal can be won only if a) the admission authority has made a mistake AND at mistake has deprived your DC of a place, or b) the entrance criteria are illegal, or c) the decision is so unreasonable it cannot be allowed to stand (the bar for is is very high - think child or witness protection issues).

Are any of those grounds likely to apply? Have you been able to check that DC was considered under the right criterion, that e home/school distance looks right, and that your distance is indeed greater than greatest distance offered?

Kimm2013 Fri 19-Apr-13 16:00:32

AuntieStella, thankyou for your feedback, very useful information!
I shall be looking into how the other 60 children were chosen, from the teachers feedback she explained For example 30 children through siblings, 30 distance.

But this school falls between two local authorities. But it's address falls onto mine. We have the same postcode..well that start off it.? Does that make any difference??

tiggytape Fri 19-Apr-13 16:10:38

Kimm - postcodes don't matter. The admissions criteria will tell you how they measure distance (as the crow flies or shortest walking route) and that method is applied to everyone equally. So sometimes a person in the neighbouring town can qualify for a place more than someone in the same town as the school is situated (if they live closer to the school).

Ofsted reports also do not count for admissions purposes or appeals. All schools must be treated as equal else of course everyone allocated less than a grade 1 school would appeal it.

Auntie Stella is right - the first thing you need to find out is if there are 30 per class since it is very hard to win an appeal if this is the case (as she has outlined).

If it isn't the case - if the class sizes are smaller than 30 - you can win an appeal by showing that the school meets the needs and interests of your child.
An appeal where there are less than 30 per class can be won if you show the panel that the prejudice (harm) to your child in not getting a place outweighs the harm (prejudice) to the school of being forced to take one more pupil. Things to focus on would be anything the school offers that benefits your child eg caters for needs your child has or has facilities your child would benefit from for particular reasons etc. Do not be negative about the allocated school. You would be appealing for one school not against the other.

Fiona2011231 Fri 19-Apr-13 16:16:32

Hi tiggytape, could you pls advise?

I have been told about the cut-off distance this year for my preferred school. However, I have not called the council to ask my home distance as measured by their computer.

If the council, in the end, tells me about my home distance, which is longer than the cut-off distance, does it mean I should not appeal anymore?

In this case, I only want to appeal with the hope that they calculated my distance wrongly. That is the only reason.

tiggytape Fri 19-Apr-13 16:45:00

If the council, in the end, tells me about my home distance, which is longer than the cut-off distance, does it mean I should not appeal anymore?

If that happened - if your whole appeal was based on distance (and you have no other reason to suspect a mistake eg faith or sibling criteria) - then you probably would not win at appeal.
You can still decide to appeal however if you feel you have strong reasons. The right to appeal is open to all parents and even if you know the chances are slim, many parents decide to do it so that they have explored all options.
If there are 30 per class though and if you have no reason to suspect a mistake then you'd probably need to approach any appeal as being a long shot rather than pinning a lot of hope on the outcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now