Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed re. phonics book sets for home reading

(10 Posts)
phonicia Thu 18-Apr-13 22:31:49

Hi, I'm a newbie - hope I've posted in right place!
In KS1, we have just raised some money to buy a set of 'phonic' home reading books for red-green colour bands.

Does anyone know of a set of books we can buy that are reasonably priced, with 20-30 books in each band colour?

(We do RWI as our phonics scheme.)
Thanks.

rrbrigi Fri 19-Apr-13 10:00:24

Hi,

I am just a mother and I start to use piper books with my son at home. I do not know if they are for school or not, but they are very good phonics books. My son is a very good reader, but I noticed that most of the time he is guessing instead of reading the words phonetically. The piper books are very good for him. We have only red 3 of them (with words, Jack and Jake or spot and stop, hid and hide, saw and was, etc…) and he already started to read the words and not just guessing. I bought the advanced for him, but there are piper books for beginners too. I should have started phonics books earlier with him. I do think the phonics books beneficial for him to establish his phonics knowledge and in the same time he can see that phonics are really helpful and works. These books are not so colourful and have small pictures, but I think it is good idea, because the child cannot guess the story from the picture alone and has to use his phonics knowledge to read the sentences. In his school they do not give home phonics books, but his teacher told me they do read them in the school with them. But since we read these phonics books at home (half a story a day) the improvement is really noticeable.
www.piperbooks.co.uk

Periwinkle007 Fri 19-Apr-13 12:41:42

Is there a reason why you wouldn't buy the Read Write Inc ones to go alongside the scheme you follow at school? Is it because you use them in the classroom?

The only phonics books I am familiar with are the Songbirds Phonics which we bought for my daughters and Read Write Inc ones which we borrowed off a friend. I am not sure what the Floppy's phonics ones are like because my daughter was past that stage when she started school but they are the Oxford Reading Tree phonics ones.

Mrz knows lots of phonics schemes so I am sure she will be able to help out with suggestions.

simpson Fri 19-Apr-13 12:55:39

Dandelion books, songbirds or floppy's phonics are all good as is project x.

Fuzzymum1 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:39:43

Dandelion books are lovely, our school have just bought a set and the kids love them, they are really appealing.

freetrait Fri 19-Apr-13 14:39:41

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1726980-Reading-books-that-follow-the-phonics

if you look at mrz's post in this thread it links to lots of phonics books smile.

plainjayne123 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:26:22

Our school has just stocked up with phonics bug sets. Have a look on Amazon. We have got lots at home as well.

phonecia Fri 19-Apr-13 20:27:32

Thanks everyone - very useful info smile flowers

jgjgjg Fri 19-Apr-13 20:58:40

The Jelly and Bean series is excellent. It starts right from the beginning when they only know a few sounds, and goes up to Phonics Stage 5.
Tricky/non-phonic words are introduced really really sparingly so the children can use their decoding skills to read whole books very quickly.

Kikicasta Sat 11-May-13 15:07:55

I used Piper books bri for both my kids to give them a head start before school. They are very simple and the structure is all there. They seemed to pick it up quickly. I think it is good to have simple pictures as it doesn't distract them. They could both read by reception so I would recommend them and I think schools use them. It's phonics based anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now