Talk

Advanced search

Reception place in different school from current nursery

(10 Posts)
Amaaazing Thu 18-Apr-13 21:58:09

DD has been at one school's pre-school and nursery for the last 2 years, but she didn't get a reception place at that same school.

Does anyone have any advice for preparing DD for a reception place at a completely different school?

beanandspud Thu 18-Apr-13 22:08:52

Not quite the same but DS was the only one from his private nursery that went to his primary school - the nursery class were scattered across a number of schools but he was the only one that went on his own. All of the children at his new school had been in that nursery together, very few joined in Reception.

DS's new teacher came to visit him at nursery for a couple of hours (nursery invited her) and then he did a couple of settling in visits at his new school. We talked a lot about 'big school' and how he would have new school friends and also his nursery friends.

When he started, we saw some of his nursery friends at weekends but tbh there are only a few that we keep in touch with now.

School were great at helping him to settle, included him with established friendship groups and gave him lots of opportunities to mix with the whole class. It was the teacher that really made the diffence for us, she couldn't do enough in those first few weeks.

Two terms in you wouldn't know that he was the only 'newbie' so please don't worry.

difficultpickle Thu 18-Apr-13 22:09:32

Ds went to a school that was completely different from his nursery and where half the year knew each other as they had all been at nursery together. It didn't matter at all. They split the nursery children over the two classes and whilst the year started with them playing with each other they soon made friends with the new children like ds. By soon I mean there were new established friendships by the October half term. Ime the younger they are the more adaptable they are.

chickensaladagain Thu 18-Apr-13 22:11:25

Can you transfer dd to the other nursery for the last half term before the summer?

There is a lot of movement in my area for this exact reason

Mutteroo Thu 18-Apr-13 23:45:18

DCs attended a private nursery rather than join the attached nursery class. Fortunately, there were 2-3 other children from the same nursery going to the same infants school & so the school put them all in the same class. DD was happy with this but DS wasn't as he didn't like either of the other lads. He cried his eyes out during the first induction afternoon & spent the whole time sitting on the TA's lap, (who had worked with his big sister's class for the previous 2 years)

By the time DS started in September, he was much more settled & he's now a very mature 17 year old who doesn't remember his early days in reception.

Your child will be looked after wherever they go but talk to the school if you have any concerns.

noramum Fri 19-Apr-13 09:50:46

Don't worry. We had this as our nursery was not connected to any school and as we live in another area DD was the only child going to her Infant school.

We just stated it as a matter of fact. We told her that she will meet lots of new children and will make friends.

The school offered three afternoons to meet and play in July, DD went to two of them. The first day at school she then just marched into the class and didn't look back. It took a couple of weeks for her to get to I ow the children but she has a circle of friends.

I wouldn't do anything dramatic, just see what the school offers. The less you stress about this fact the less your child. Gets anxious.

Rowgtfc72 Sat 20-Apr-13 09:04:30

We didnt get into our chosen reception along with one other girl. We went to the stay and play sessions, had a very good look around the school and met the staff. During the summer holidays we stood at the school gates and looked at the playground and school and field and bigged it up to her.The six week summer holiday is a long time to a child that age and I think DD had "forgotten" her nursery a bit by then anyway. Most of the classes were children did know each other but luckily dd is sociable ! The school split dd and her friend up as well to ensure they made new friends.

AnnandBarryAgain Sat 20-Apr-13 12:03:41

I am a YR teacher and was asked this very question yesterday. I would recommend asking her current nursery key worker to prepare a transition to her new school.

At my school we invite private nursery kids to spend a morning /afternoon in their new class with either parent/key worker. I take lots of photos of new school and make a welcome booklet, or,even better if the child is able to visit, give them the camera and help them take pictures of their new school. You'd be amazed at what jumps out at them!! (One memorable picture I remember is of the toilets, and the box of tissues on my desk "if I have a green nose")

At the nursery end, I recommend the key worker make a 'passport' with pictures of the nursery and staff, pictures of child working with friends, picture of whole class together. In my Nursery they give our little leavers a 'postcard' to send back to the Nursery which is always nice.

So long as DC have met their new teacher, had a good look around class, know where the toilet is and seen the playground they'll do ok smile

ArbitraryUsername Sat 20-Apr-13 12:08:58

It's really common. DS2 is at private nursery and (as far as I know) he's the only child there going to a particular school. The school he's going to has one class at each stage but a nursery with places for 42 children. It may well be that several of the children in the nursery didn't get in to reception at the school next year and have to go to another local school instead.

Nursery staff should be used to preparing children to transfer to a range of schools.

insancerre Sat 20-Apr-13 12:15:17

chickensalsdagain
your suggestion will have no benefit whatsoever
I work in a pre-school and it takes children weeks to settle into a new place. What is the point of moving them to have to move them again to school?
Too many transitions will have a detrimental effect.
DD wne to a primary without knowing anyone because we moved in the weeks befoe she started reception.
She had a couple of visits and then was in full time. She settled fine.
Most schools organise visits for the children and some also visit them at nursery and even at home.
Maybe you could ring the school and ask them how they manage the transition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now