Talk

Advanced search

Trafford Primary Schools - is this normal?

(5 Posts)
ReindeerBollocks Thu 18-Apr-13 21:48:28

We have been offered the school of our choice - however the place is conditional based on evidence of address.

They want more documents than frigging MI5!! (well not quite but nearly). Four different documents relating to us, DC and our address. I should mention it isn't a problem, we have the documents but I was just surprised at how much information they require.

Is this common for the area, or because the school is over-subscribed?

mrsdinklage Fri 19-Apr-13 11:04:15

Reindeer - if you live in the south of the borough I expect its normal grin
however..........

ArabellaBeaumaris Fri 19-Apr-13 12:38:30

Yes, it's normal. The whole of Trafford (pretty much) is oversubscribed. They are planning bulge classes for 2014.

peacypops Mon 22-Apr-13 10:46:01

YES normal! We are in Trafford - my daughter started in reception last year and I was amazed at the amount of paperwork I needed to provide. What I found odd was that another mum I knew (who also lived in Trafford but not in our area) didn't have to provide anything - other than return the acceptance slip. Seems that they only request all the additional stuff for over-subscribed schools.

tiggytape Mon 22-Apr-13 10:53:19

Sometimes people try to cheat to get a place at an oversubscribed school (eg they use a relative's address or they rent a flat that they don't live in or will move out of and go back to their 'real' home down the road or they use the Dad's address even though the child doesn't live with their Dad as much as their mum...).

If the school you have been offered is a popular one or in an oversubscribed area, many local people will have been rejected by that school.
The council therefore needs to make sure that everyone with an offer genuinely lives where they say they do and that all addresses meet the definition of being the child's permanent home. This is only fair given that some people who've been turned down won't have been allocated any of their choices or will be forced to travel a long way for school.

They do this in parts of London too where places are short or where some schools are massively more popular than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now