Talk

Advanced search

Curious, would you move to a higher school preference?

(9 Posts)
Pyrrah Thu 18-Apr-13 14:56:13

If you got your second, third or even lower preference, would you automatically accept a waiting list offer for a higher preference, or are most people happy to stick with the choice allocated?

If you would accept a waiting list place, how late on would you accept one? ie next week, end of summer term, day before school starts, mid-term, whenever even if it takes years.

TravelinColour Thu 18-Apr-13 15:00:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlecrystal Thu 18-Apr-13 22:31:33

I moved my DS to 1st choice from our 2nd choice last year, we got offered place just one day before starting in the 2nd choice school. It was really tough decision because 1st choice was outstanding and oversubscribed, and 2nd choice was good and lovely, and even now after almost a year I am not sure if we made the right choice.

Stick to your gut feeling.

ReallyTired Thu 18-Apr-13 23:05:19

Depends on the schools and depends on the child. Many children do not like uncetainy. The want to know which school they will be definately attending.

Ds is on a continued waiting list and if he gets a place at our preferred school then he will lose his place at his second choice school.

With dd I am just relieved that she has been offered a place somewhere!

intheshed Thu 18-Apr-13 23:12:04

We had this last year... stayed on continuing interest list at first (rang up the school and found out we were 4th in the list). But in the end I didn't like the uncertainty and DD was starting to get excited about the new school, where most of her friends were going anyway. So I asked to be taken off the list and stuck with the 2nd choice. One year on, it was the right decision!

MrsBungle Thu 18-Apr-13 23:19:11

I'm wondering this.

We got our second choice but I changed my mind about 10 times about 1st and 2nd before submitting the application.

I am on the waiting list for choice 1 (3rd on the list) but I am still unsure what to do if I am offered a place there. Its sats results are very good and it has an after school club.

The one I have been offered, though, is a lot smaller and a lot closer but no after school club and due to the cohort size (so the Head tells me) its sats vary each year and last year were pretty rubbish.

Sorry, I have rambled on. I still don't know!

DoTheStrand Thu 18-Apr-13 23:30:15

We got offered our second choice for DS1. He's now on the continued interest list for our first choice and we've accepted a place at the second choice school. At the moment my intention is to go with first choice if we get offered a place at any stage until September.

It helps that both schools are v good schools with inspiring heads and DS1 will know children at both. It is really a question of logistics, family life will be that bit more straightforward if he gets into our first choice.

Barbabeau Fri 19-Apr-13 07:44:58

Had we not got our first choice we would have tried for a place via the waiting list. Our first choice is two minutes walk away so worth waiting for.

Frikadellen Fri 19-Apr-13 07:58:41

this is for 2ndary school but we are on waiting list for our first choice for ds and have appealed. If a waiting list place came up before appeal I would jump at it. (or after if appeal fails)

I drive a girl to school each day who got her 1st choice 1 term in and was moved immediately too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now