Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Taking DS out in term time!!

(14 Posts)
sleepyhead1234 Thu 18-Apr-13 14:31:22

DS is in reception and DH has booked a surprise short break to spain in May half term for a week but because it would be cheaper we come back 3 days into term meaning DS will miss 4 days school (4th due to travel).

When DS started we were told absolutely no time to be taken off term time. It seems DH forgot this information!!!

Anyone got any experience? How much trouble will i get in? If i lie and say He's ill DS will go back telling everyone how cool his holiday was!!

WWYD????

redskyatnight Thu 18-Apr-13 14:41:43

IT will go down as unauthorised absence. There will most likely be no come back unless DS has poor attendance for this year, or you've had lots of other unauthorised days.
Please don’t lie about it (what is that teaching your child!?)

sleepyhead1234 Thu 18-Apr-13 14:50:32

Thankyou. So far he has only had one day off due to sickness and was featured in the newsletter for great attendance. I'm very proud of this and if i'm honest don't want to go or him to have the days off and certainly not getting an unauthorized absence. But i know it will upset DH as he was trying to do a nice thing.

I wouldn't feel happy to lie for the reasons you state also it wouldn't feel right i'm not someone who lie's that's just what alot of ppl seem to do and say and i've been tod to say this by a few friends!!

Saracen Thu 18-Apr-13 15:30:14

If it happens that your son is still four (or just turned five in April), then you are in luck, as he is not yet compulsory education age until next autumn so you aren't subject to truancy laws yet. That would mean you cannot be prosecuted for his nonattendance. All the school could do would be to make disapproving noises in your direction.

If he's older... you can find out whether your LA has made provision for automatic fines for every unauthorised absence. If not, it's unlikely you will be prosecuted at this stage, since you aren't in the habit of keeping him off school.

AmberSocks Thu 18-Apr-13 16:19:49

i have done it,you can have up to 2 weeks authorised absences per school year,after that its marked down as unauthorised.also they are only legally supposed to be there from the term after they are 5 so if hes not yet 5 you can take him out when you want.

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Apr-13 16:28:27

You are NOT entitled to take a child out of school for 2 weeks. It is generally at the discretion of the Head. It sounds like you intend to go. Explain to the Head. Apologise and don't lie. You will get found out.

radicalsubstitution Thu 18-Apr-13 16:32:46

Actually, it depends very much on the LEA and the headteacher.

Schools are under no obligation to authorise holidays in term time at all, unless for 'exceptional circumstances'. Some headteachers are more strict than others in defining what these are, but LEAs will generally always back heads up when it comes to refusing absence.

If your head has already indicated that he/she will not authorise term time holidays, then it is unlikely that they will under these circumstances.

LEAs also vary in the authority they give heads to issue fines. The best thing you could do would be to go on your LEA's website and search for 'school attendance policy' to find the generic guidance for the LEA.

The whole 'they don't have to be in school until they're 5' thing is a bit misleading as well. In our LEA, the attendance management policy kicks in from the moment a child is registered as attending a school - regardless of whether or not they are of statutory school age. Again, check your LEA's policy.

sleepyhead1234 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:07:38

He is 5. I spoke to a few friends who are also have children at DS school and they say headteacher will say no and its a £100 fine. Bit steep!! tbh think we'll be staying at home. DH is putting pressure on now though saying just pull him out!!

ICanTotallyDance Thu 18-Apr-13 23:45:38

Eh! Travel is education. I would go and not lie. Tell the Head that the only way you can get back is three days into term time. Is it cheaper by more that one hundred pounds to come back later? Is the 100 pounds legal for your son? Check with your LEA.

Alternatively, screw everybody and lie. Your poor Aunt Ada who retired to spain with her husband has fallen and broken her hip.

In ten years, what will you remember, your trip to spain or three days at school with your FIVE YEAR OLD.

outtolunchagain Fri 19-Apr-13 07:42:33

Why is this your responsibility and not your DHs , is your ds from a previous relationship. Assuming he is your ds father then it should be his responsibility to negotiate with the school , he has booked the holiday so let him write the letter / speak to the head

givemeaclue Fri 19-Apr-13 09:43:12

Just fill in the form rather than listen to rumours. I have reception children we have been authorized a week off in term time

givemeaclue Fri 19-Apr-13 09:44:23

Can't believe you are canceling the holiday rather than asking for the time off school

AmberSocks Fri 19-Apr-13 11:40:02

the before 5 thing is the LAW.leas can be sneaky and misleading and pretend things are the law when they are not.education is not compulsory until after 5,therefore by law you cannot be fined for taking your child out during term time before then.

whistleahappytune Fri 19-Apr-13 12:02:08

For goodness sake, take your DC to Spain and have a lovely time! Inform the school (I agree that lying always backfires). BTW, has your DC had many other absences due to illness or doctors appointments? If not, I would emphasise this in your letter. Your child is in reception. They would be quite ridiculous to make an issue of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now