Talk

Advanced search

Do all schools get deadly serious in Yr 3?

(16 Posts)
fishoils Thu 18-Apr-13 12:31:21

Have just been talking to a mum about the move to junior school and how her son hates it because its such hard work. Its sounds like its very dry, with no play at all.

The infant school, in contrast, of the same primary is very creative and play based.

I have heard the same thing from a few other parents at this school - and am wondering whether its the same thing across the board and how your children cope with it?

Thank you.

tiggytape Thu 18-Apr-13 12:35:56

They sometimes lose an afternoon playtime in Year 3. My two found that pretty hard but the actual work wasn't massively different. By the end of Year 2, they are doing lots of formal learning.

fishoils Thu 18-Apr-13 12:38:59

OK. I think that with this school the infants and juniors have different heads and have historically been run differently.

lottieandmia Thu 18-Apr-13 12:43:56

I think the hardest jump is from R to year 1 - they go from lots of play time to very little in class time. In year 3 things do get a bit more serious and the children are expected to take more responsibility for organising their stuff and making sure homework is handed in etc.

christinarossetti Thu 18-Apr-13 12:44:38

I think this is fairly common - I know two local separate infant and junior schools with different heads which are very similar.

Lots of parents move their children out of the junior school, although I think that's partly for secondary school reasons too.

SunflowersSmile Thu 18-Apr-13 12:55:04

Our year 3 seems very relaxed.
Perhaps a result of less push as no SATs on horizon.

OldBeanbagz Thu 18-Apr-13 13:08:06

Our Y3 seems quite relaxed and my DS hasn't complained about the workload. In fact he's loving the extra subjects they study and the increased sport.

Just wait until Y5 & Y6, that's when the pressure is really on!

MirandaWest Thu 18-Apr-13 13:10:07

DS didn't seem to mind not having afternoon playtime in year 3. That was the only main change. Oh and having lockers (which can't actually be locked!)

CorrieDale Thu 18-Apr-13 13:25:24

It was R to Y1 that was tricky here. Y3 they do first holy communion and there is a lot of emphasis on preparing the children for that. I would say that academically there's less pressure than in y2 in our school. The loss of afternoon play really rankles with the children though! Third term in and they still moan about it!

TeenAndTween Thu 18-Apr-13 13:56:00

Mine found the move from y1 to y2 hardest, as it was in y2 that they introduced independent working, ie without an adult at your table. The move from y2 to y3 was a breeze compared with that.

numbum Thu 18-Apr-13 21:06:43

I remember all those years ago gazing out of the window on my first day in year 3 at the younger children running around during afternoon play and suddenly realising we weren't going out. It obviously traumatised me grin

My DS has loved moving to KS2 because the work is more structured but yes I'd say it's more serious

fishoils Thu 18-Apr-13 21:22:54

Yes. It sort of traumatised me too. I remember counting how much play we'd lost each and every year and sort of mourning it. I know that sounds melodramatic, but I really did feel sad at the loss of play each year.

I'm worrying in advance for DS about this. Which is daft. And forever toying with the idea of home schooling.

Still18atheart Thu 18-Apr-13 22:12:30

I remember feeling like a proper older child not just a little kid anymore as you were allowed your own pencil case and was able to write in pen as well as pencil.

Also felt pretty grown that we got formalised homework in yr3 i was a geek at school

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 18-Apr-13 22:22:02

Y2 to Y3 biggest jump ( as school goes to 18 is acknowledged as bigger than 6 and7).
They are responsible for all their own possessions, responsible for getting to correct classroom for lessons themselves with key fob for doors and have homework diary which it is their job to keep up to date. This is then exactly the same all the way to 18.

Bunnyjo Thu 18-Apr-13 22:30:18

DD noticed the transition from YrR to Yr1, as there "is not as much time to play anymore..."

That said, she was streamed into a Yr2/3 class; so I imagine it is much more academically focussed because of that.

Bunnyjo Thu 18-Apr-13 22:31:12

Should have said, DD is in Yr1 at present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now