Talk

Advanced search

Application processed under wrong criteria ?

(5 Posts)
WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 18-Apr-13 07:30:59

We applied for Middle school for DS. DD went to our catchment one and had a miserable time. She had her arm in plaster after one incident then a teacher left class records out which were read by other children. They contained medical information and a week or two later there was an incident on the playground with a group of boys who surrounded her and were taunting her with things like she didn't deserve to live plus her medical info. Horrible time for all of us.

When it came to applying last year we decided to put the other middle school as first choice. Rang Admissions, explained the above and said that we wanted to not put catchment first due to what had happened and that DS had become very anxious about going to our catchment school due to what he'd witnessed his sister going through, but was happy at the idea of the other school (closest other Middle school) as knew children from cubs, that we considered catchment school had failed in safeguarding and duty or care to our DD. I wasn't sure whether I should tick the 'other' or 'proximity' box. Lady I spoke to asked me if we could get him to further away school. I said we could, she told me to apply under 'other' and explain what I had said in the box on the form.

Logged on Tuesday, he hasn't been offered first choice but catchment school. The confirmation letter came yesterday and I noticed that the heading for 'confirmed criteria' for the first choice school says 'proximity' which is not what I applied under. The Head of catchment school is leaving and it will probably turn out to be a good thing if he does go to catchment school. But I'm wondering why the details on offer letter don't match my application and the criteria I was told to apply under . Does anyone have any thoughts on this ? Many thanks.

tiggytape Thu 18-Apr-13 08:15:41

You applied under special medical / social criteria. This does not automatically mean that criteria will be applied unless the reasons you submit are considered strong enough. It just means you are asking the LA to consider placing you in the special category - the decision whether to do so rests with them.

Generally, to be placed in this category at allocations stage, you have to submit evidence that the school you are applying to is the only one that can meet your child's needs. Evidence normally needs to be from a professional involved with your child's care.

The decision letter implies that the LA has not accepted the reason you stated as being strong enough to warrant being placed in a special category above other children.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 18-Apr-13 09:20:50

Thanks Tiggytape, Admisions didn't explain any of that when I rang. I think it's one of those things that have happened for a reason. The new Head is supposed to be excellent and DS is fine about it now old Head leaving and I'm pretty sure he'll do well there given the change of management. I was just wondering how it all worked. Thnks for your help, much appreciated.

mintyneb Thu 18-Apr-13 09:22:45

Wynken, I'm really sorry to hear how your DD was treated, that must have been awful for you all.

As to your question, 2 years ago I applied for a reception place for my DD under the 'exceptional medical condition' category and provided all the required documentation at the time of my application.

Subsequent to that, and BEFORE all offers were made I got a letter from the LEA saying that they had approved my application and that DD would be considered under category 'x' (in our case after looked after children and siblings but before distance). This didn't mean that we had got a place at the school but it did mean that unless there were 60 siblings joining the school that year I could be pretty confident.

As tiggytape has said it looks like the LEA have decided that you do not have a valid case to be considered as 'other'

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 18-Apr-13 09:39:01

Thanks Minty. It's good to know how it works, I should have really found out before really. In previous years the intake for the other school has included our address so I nearly ticked proximity anyway. It's just here's been a knock on effect from changes to other schoolsin the area which shrunk it dramatically this year.

DD's fine. She applied and went to a school after she left that one and it suits her much better than the one she would have gone to and everyone says she's like a different child. DS gets that what happened to her won't to him. I think we could go to appeal and have a reasonable chance as there are a few factors why the other school would be more suitable. But I do feel it's one of those cases of things happening for a reason and the school he's been allocated will be the one everyone tries to get into in a few years time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now