Talk

Advanced search

Year 1 maths

(8 Posts)
bigbutsrus1 Tue 16-Apr-13 22:24:50

Hi, just wondered what your year 1 children are doing in Maths? We get targets for a term. For example half's up to 20. Add or subtract any number to or from 10. They have done counting in 2's & 10's, & number bonds to 10. Just wanted your thoughts, a friend from a different school seems to being things like adding higher numbers, number bonds to 20 or above. DD seems ok, it doesn't come naturally to her (I doesn't to me either)! Just want yo keep her at average if possible as it seems to move at such a quick pace as they get older. Thanks

christmasjo Tue 16-Apr-13 22:35:11

My son has been doing 2,5,10 times table, time ( o'clock, half past, quarter past) number bonds to 20, doubling numbers, adding/ subtraction numbers above 20, measuring weight/ length / volume, money and working out change.

Hope that helps smile

Beehatch Tue 16-Apr-13 22:43:03

Doesn't come naturally to us either grin

However I have recently helped DD with:
Reviewing number bonds to 10, extrapolating idea to 10s and 100s
Counting in 2, 5 and 10
Adding 10 to any number
Counting on and subtracting using number lines
Adding 2 digit numbers (adding units then tens, but not using column method) - we haven't got as far as bridging 10 in the units yet
Simple fractions 1/2 and 1/4 mostly using pictures and groups
Different math vocabulary e.g. addition can be called plus, more than, greater etc.; and subtraction can be minus, take away, less than, difference etc. DD struggles with written word problems so we are trying to learn how to write it out in math notation first.

There's lots done at school she doesn't tell me about, but we see it in her books at parents evening. I was worried she seemed to be struggling but her teacher thinks she is holding her own and just lacks confidence (hence the practicing at home)

RealityQuake Tue 16-Apr-13 23:13:24

Sounds about right to me. All schools will have the same basic framework, but different schools use different math programmes that will have things in different order and length of times for things and amount of review, and so on.

[[http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/NNSontoMEPP.pdf Here's an example], it has the programme's structure on one side (MEP) and the National Curriculum learning objectives on the other side.

Hope that helps.

RealityQuake Tue 16-Apr-13 23:13:53

HERE is the example

gabsid Wed 17-Apr-13 10:16:47

I would talk to her teacher, national average for Y1 is level 1b I think. Ask what she is struggling with and how you can help.

When DS was in Y1 I found a couple of websites (e.g. topmarks) with games and activities for most topics.

PastSellByDate Thu 18-Apr-13 03:25:02

Hi bigbutsrus1

if you haven't stumbled across this - Woodlands Junior school has a lovely maths zone with all sorts of clearly organised practice in specific areas here: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/

There's all sorts of additing to 10, adding to 20 practice in the addition zone.

There's also a nice number bond game here: www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/mentalmaths/numberbond.html

HTH

PastSellByDate Thu 18-Apr-13 03:25:45

sorry 'additing' - was obviously a poor attempt at either adding or addition - clearly didn't make up my mind whilst typing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now