Talk

Advanced search

Moving house and late application to primary - advice please!

(3 Posts)
flootshoot Mon 15-Apr-13 14:32:56

I wonder if anyone can advise?

We’re in the process of selling up with a view to moving to Surrey (Staines/Egham area). It’s taken months but things are finally moving. As it currently stands we have a preference form completed with our current LA for 4yo DS and we get the allocations on Friday. IF all goes to plan and we move, it should hopefully happen around end of May/beginning of June.

I’ve been in contact with Surrey County Council and they say I can do one of two things:

a)go through our current LA and change our preferences to Surrey schools – I’m reluctant to do this as obviously nothing is certain until we’ve completed our sale and I’m loathe to do anything that could potentially take him off the system here. If our sale falls through which has happened to us before we’re probably staying here for the foreseeable and he’ll need a school!

b)Wait until we’ve moved and then apply to the schools in our new area. This seems the sensible option, but I’m very aware that the later we leave it, the further down the waiting lists he’ll be (if he isn’t allocated a place immediately that is).

Has anyone any experience of moving at this time of year? What will happen if there aren’t any places? I know he can go on the writing lists but say no place ever comes up – how far away can he realistically end up? If, say, there was no available place within 5 miles what would the LA do? I don’t drive and anything over a couple of miles is going to start incurring significant public transport costs. Is there a cut off point at which it becomes an unreasonable distance for them to expect a child to travel to school?

Sigh. It would have been so nice to have had this sorted months ago, but such is life!!

Any advice or knowledge on this would be most welcome!

TIA

tiggytape Mon 15-Apr-13 16:49:23

You sound like you have been given good advice and your decision to go with option b) is best since the house move isn't 100% definite yet.

Once you move to Surrey, you can apply to schools you would like. If any of them has a space (and nobody is above you on the list) you will be allocated a place.

If none of them has spaces, you will be alloacted the nearest available school with a place. If this is more than 2 miles away, you will be eligible for free transport for your child.

If none of the schools in a reasonable distance has a place, there are emergency measures that can be used to force a full school to take you. But this only applies if every single school in the area is full and it will be the council who picks the school that can best cope with an extra pupil.

Reasonable distance is not strictly defined but it is generally accepted that anything upto an hour each way would be reasonable. Again though, more than 2 miles would make him eligible for free transport.

flootshoot Tue 16-Apr-13 12:35:51

Sorry for the late reply; that's really helpful and has cleared a few things up. Now to see what happens!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now