Talk

Advanced search

Salisbury Primary Schools

(13 Posts)
Yes123 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:07:07

New here so excuse any newbie errors...

Does anyone have any experience of state primary schools in the Salisbury area? We are hoping to live in Salisbury and want to move to an area with a good school..

Does anyone have thoughts on...

Bemerton St Johns
Downton
Harnham

Or others they think are great!

Thanks in advance...

Chubfuddler Sun 14-Apr-13 20:10:42

Salisbury has a funny old mix of comp, single sex secondaries, grammars and private. My experience is v old, but pretty much all the primaries feed into all the secondaries, subject to 11 plus.

Harnham and Brmerton St Johns are in expensive parts of the town. Both have always had good reputations.

Chubfuddler Sun 14-Apr-13 20:11:23

You do know Downton is some miles out of town?

Yes123 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:27:09

Thanks for your responses!
Yes, I know Downton is a bit further out but we would consider living in the village (if a house ever came up for sale that wasn't too near the water!).

We've always thought if we moved to the area we may need to consider private secondary due to nightmare of secondary school situ but I want to give them best start at a good primary before then.

It's a wierd situation when you can move to an area but you have no affinity to any place! I figured I may as well start with being near a good primary!!

Chubfuddler Sun 14-Apr-13 20:31:38

Do you have girls? Private for boys is a bit weird in Salisbury, as in there aren't any private srcobdaries (unless godolphin or la retraite have gone co ed which is possible in the 15 years since I left).

Yes123 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:41:27

I have thought of Dauntseys school as private possibility, I know its a drive but would be willing as an option. I also figure things will undoubtably change in the next 7 years so whilst not discounting importance of secondary I'm really interested in primary schools as that is something we can look to make decisions about the immediate move.. I have mix of girls and boys..

I know I could look at ofsted but I always value opinions of parents over this!

Chubfuddler Sun 14-Apr-13 20:47:35

You might want to try MN local for more uptodate replies.

Yes123 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:49:31

Thank you very much!

allbie Mon 15-Apr-13 18:38:29

Hi, all my DC went to Bemerton ST JOhn. It had a bad patch but is flying now. Sarum St Paul is great too. Greentrees has a good reputation as does HArnham and St Marks. Depends if you want a village small one or one that has several classes per year. Having a play park close by is just brilliant not only for the kids but for you to meet other parents and become part of the community. The only one I think is iffy is Pembroke Park but this may have changed! Good luck.

peppajay Mon 15-Apr-13 18:48:51

Hi I went to Pitton primary which is in Pitton about 6 miles out of Salisbury. When I was there 30 yrs ago there was 25 kids in the whole school now there is 90 children but at least 80 of these come from Salisbury as house prices are so high there is only about 8 children living in Pitton now. Harnham and Bremerton St. John's are good schools as friends children go there. Secondaries are your problem as is ours we live on bmouth and as there is a grammar system like Salisbury the secondary moderns and comps are pretty dire.

Yes123 Fri 19-Apr-13 15:20:26

Thanks so much for responding.. I'm a bit keener on the thought of a smaller school rather than multiple classes so great to hear your advise everyone!

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 14:56:59

I wouldnt touch Bemerton with a barge pole or Sarum St Paul

Yes123 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:23:21

What are the negatives for bemerton and Sarum?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now