Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

teacher spelling

(8 Posts)
thegreylady Sun 14-Apr-13 15:30:02

I know this has been done before but may I ask anyway?
I was a teacher, my dd is a teacher too. Just at the end of term dd went to parents' evening for dgs [Y1].
He is doing really well but the target the teacher stressed most was spelling. Dgs spelling isn't great eg.skiye for sky and taim for tame but the teacher had left those and corrected his spelling of horizon to horizen which is of course wrong.
Dd didn't say anything as there were other parents near by and she didn't want to embarrass the teacher [who is lovely] but the dc are back at school tomorrow and she is wondering whether to mention it.I said she should but she isn't sure-wwyd?

MoaningYoniWhingesAgain Sun 14-Apr-13 15:47:25

If it is a one off I would ignore it TBH even though it would bother me a lot

But if it was a regular thing I would definitely mention it. I suspect that 'taim' and skiye' were not corrected because they are reasonable attempts to spell phonetically.

mrz Sun 14-Apr-13 16:04:43

The sounds in horizon are spelt in a fairly straightforward way, (h-or-i-z-o-n) whereas in sky there are alternative ways to represent the sounds /k/ and /ie/ which he may not have learnt yet. In tame it is possible he hasn't been taught the split spelling a-e representation for the sound /ai/. The teacher is correcting words he should be able to spell and leaving those containing representations he may not have been taught .

LynetteScavo Sun 14-Apr-13 16:11:22

mrz, the teacher corrected horizon to horiz*e*n.

I agree, if it was a one off don't say anything, but keep a close eye on it.

mrz Sun 14-Apr-13 16:30:32

blush

Periwinkle007 Sun 14-Apr-13 19:48:54

very hard to point out a teacher's spelling mistake. unfortunately there are many teachers nowadays who can't spell, just like so many in other professions. To be fair to her though it may have been a one off where she was distracted, it could have been one of those cases where she has looked at a word for so long she can't work out if it is right or not and had a memory blank, it might be the only word she can't spell.

I would ignore it this time but if it happens again then I think perhaps you do need to say something

thegreylady Sun 14-Apr-13 22:25:36

Thanks Peri that's what dd has decided to do. She also showed him the word horizon in a book about ships and he read it without comment.

juniper9 Sun 14-Apr-13 22:51:36

I think I'm generally a very good speller, but I do sometimes make mistakes in children's books. Sometimes my brain just feels like it turns to mush and I have to check on my iphone look in a dictionary.

For some reason, the word camouflage seems to throw me every time I have to write it! I have no idea why.

I would leave it for the moment, but if she continues to correct other words incorrectly then yes, do mention it. She won't like it but at least she'll double check dd's book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now