Talk

Advanced search

Generous fit dresses

(15 Posts)
fifelass Wed 10-Apr-13 22:43:46

Has anyone had experience of the bhs gingham dresses in generous fit? My DD is 11 and quite stockily built and tall, and for that reason doesn't fit any standard sizes. I'm surprised she still wants to wear these tbh but she is only at primary one more term so why not. Are they true to size as shown in their size guide.

Then again I'm quite hmm at age 13 generous fit size as I think only a seriously obese primary girl would need them, and even then they wouldn't look right on such a large girl.

mortifieddotcom Thu 11-Apr-13 11:20:07

''Then again I'm quite at age 13 generous fit size as I think only a seriously obese primary girl would need them, and even then they wouldn't look right on such a large girl.''

Perhaps you need to change your views if your own daughter is of a 'stocky build'. Believe it or not large people can still wear what they want and should be able to do so without judgement from people like you. Plus some schools insist on the dresses so large girls still need ones in their size.

bootsycollins Thu 11-Apr-13 11:31:03

My dd wore the BHS generous fit,I always found the best fit for her was 1 size below her age size eg dd age 11 dress age 10. I once emailed BHS to say what a fantastic fit for my dd their generous uniforms range was and asked if they were considering introducing the generous fit sizing to the rest of the children's clothes lines, they told me that they hadn't had enough demand. Children come in all shapes and sizes so why is it so difficult to find good quality clothes that fit properly for sturdier children?

titchy Thu 11-Apr-13 11:31:56

Sorry what? You're hmm at age 13 generous fit dresses. But reckon these are the only ones that'll fit your kid?

So you're hmm are her size then?

fifelass Thu 11-Apr-13 13:27:16

I didn't imagine people would pick out unnecessary detail which may not be what I mean at all instead of answering the question at hand, which is the generous fit dresses from bhs.

Thanks bootsy, that is the kind of info I need. Sadly they are not in stock at local store though the standard ones are. Looks like online.

titchy Thu 11-Apr-13 14:08:39

Perhaps you should have just asked the question then and left out your second paragraph...

HorryIsUpduffed Thu 11-Apr-13 14:11:25

FWIW at my school you had to wear a summer dress right up to Y9.

Gingham is cheap and there are zillions of summer dress patterns. Do you know anyone who can sew? She could then have exactly the right thing in a perfect fit with the right number of pockets, buttons and zips in the right places.

SandStorm Thu 11-Apr-13 14:13:44

My yr 5 dd wears age 13 clothes because that's what fits her. I buy the BHS stuff for her and it wears well although the summer dresses don't have much style (bit like sack cloths). She's not obsese, just on the sturdy side and very, very tall. I think there's about an inch height difference between her and my 15 year old.

piprabbit Thu 11-Apr-13 14:13:57

You couldn't resist making a judgy comment about the size 13 dresses and you are wondering while people can't resist picking you up on it?

It looks like BHS do free returns, so you could order a couple of sizes and see which fits best.

mortifieddotcom Thu 11-Apr-13 14:38:27

fifelass - you had equally unneccessary detail in your post.

fifelass Thu 11-Apr-13 20:22:21

Thank you for the helpful posts. And unthankyou for the unhelpful ones.

For clarity I thought the age 13 was huge for an 11 or 12yo girl. I have never seen one with a 43 inch chest but I'm sure they exist.

horsemadmom Fri 12-Apr-13 10:11:33

My DD was the same at that age plus she was 5'2" in a 34B bra! Buying clothes of any sort was a constant battle. I used to get relatives in the states to post clothes from a shop called 'Justice' tht did age-appropriate things that were more generously cut. Having said this, for school dresses,don't buy anything that you can't try on/easily return. Happily, her all girls school was very body positive so she was never bullied. DD is now quite sylph-like.

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Fri 12-Apr-13 19:15:21

But OP, surely age 13 clothes are aimed at age 13 children, so it doesn't make sense that you're hmm at why a primary school aged kid would need one, especially as you're suggesting your own primary school aged kid needs one! confused

fifelass Fri 12-Apr-13 19:52:57

Yes but how many secondary kids would wear these dresses to school, even if they were allowed to? DD is about adult size 12-14 (though shape makes things variable), one classmate is about the same but I've never seen bigger at primary school personally.

The fact a passing comment became the main focus of the thread makes you wonder.

Haberdashery Fri 12-Apr-13 22:37:10

>> DD is about adult size 12-14

At 11? How tall is she? Quite honestly I wouldn't call that stockily built, unless she's an adult height, too. That's really large for an 11 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now