Talk

Advanced search

revision help

(6 Posts)
Labro Fri 29-Mar-13 10:58:28

ds yr 6 has been given revision to do over easter for SAT style tests in May (indie going up to 13 so more used to set for yr 7&8) As hes hit the 'lovely' hormonal phase I can't see him revising in holiday time, especially as he can't see any reason for it!! Is there ways of making revision fun (main area he needs is Maths finds Science & English easy to remember)

Teachercreature Fri 29-Mar-13 16:08:40

Websites? Like BBC Bitesize? They might be a bit easy for him, but there will be lots of others too.

dontwanttobefatandforty Fri 29-Mar-13 16:13:39

revision for SATs? I find the whole thing very sad, demanding and heartbreaking for them.

(sorry no help to you there!)

ATeacherWritesHome Fri 29-Mar-13 16:40:54

It can be a nice way to spend time together!?! You can set it up like games with small rewards, but usually kids quite like spending time with you as long as you take care with how you set it up. There are some nice ideas for things to soften the blow here.
Here are some fun maths ideas from homeschoolers and the like on pinterest.
Little and often usually works well.
Yes, SATs testing is harsh for kids, but you can just treat it as a part of their learning journey - no need to stress.

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 29-Mar-13 19:29:00

Break it down into topics and get him into the routine of doing a topic or two each morning. Then he has the rest of the day to himself.

Pozzled Fri 29-Mar-13 19:50:20

Don't make him do too much, please! He needs time to relax properly as well.

But there are lots of ways of making maths fun. Websites - BBC bites I've, as mentioned above, also try go ogling 'numeracy boot camp'. The nrich website has a lot of mathematical challenges which can be quite motivating for some.

Times tables - try putting the times tables to actions, the macarena dance works quite well! Show him a whole load of numbers all jumbled up (all the times table answers, plus a few more random ones like 130, 250, 46 and decimals like 2.4). He then has 3 minutes to cross off as many answers as he can by telling you an appropriate number sentence e.g '0.7 x 9 = 6.3' so you cross off 6.3. Do it regularly and try to improve his score. You can vary it by asking him to start from the number given and tell you a division.

If he's working at a high 4 or 5, you could also give him a times table code cracking challenge. You write out a times table (start with an easy one like 5x) but substitute a letter for each digit, and put them in a different order. He then has to cracking the code and find out what each number stands for.

Reasoning - important at level 4 and especially level 5. Give him a statement (e.g 'Multiples of 8 are also multiples of 4'. He has to tell you if it's always, sometimes or never true.

I'm sure I can think of some more, but don't want to make this too much of an essay. Let me know if there's any specific areas he needs to work on, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now