Talk

Advanced search

levels-me again

(9 Posts)
thegreylady Thu 28-Mar-13 19:46:55

I ask on here as I don't want to look pushy or stupid because I am sure dd has explained this to me once but I wonder if some kind person would help me out.
My dgs is 6 [Sept birthday] and in Yr1.At parents evening they were told he is currently working at 1a across the curriculum with the expectation that he will be 2c/2b by the end of the year.
He is reading ORT turquoise books and has been given a purple one for the holidays.
When I asked dd how he was doing she said,"Absolutely fine-honestly.He is happy and popular and that's what matters!"
She is right I know but from the info given and his age is he ok?I think he is bright but I would wouldn't I grin

Awakeagain Thu 28-Mar-13 19:57:50

Level 2 is average for end if year 2
If you dgs is looking to be 2b at end if year 1 he will prob be level 3 in yr2

Alls good

thegreylady Thu 28-Mar-13 20:07:09

Thank you-that's just what I wanted to know.So do the levels roughly correspond with the years now?
I remember when I was teaching and marking KS3 Sats level 5 was 'average' in Year 9! Are these different levels now?I retired 15 years ago so am a bit out of touch!

Awakeagain Thu 28-Mar-13 20:36:37

Depends on the child, so long as they make progress that they need each year
Yr 2=level 2 (2b/2a average 3 grin)
Yr 6= level 4 (5 grin)

Obviously v different for some children ( might struggle for a good 3 in year 6 etc)

caffeinated Thu 28-Mar-13 22:13:19

It means he's on target for level 3 at the end of year 2. So yes bright but not exceptional. At my dc school 55% achieve level 3 in each subject. But that is higher than the national average which I think is usually closer to a third.

titchy Thu 28-Mar-13 22:21:48

Listen to your dd!

simpson Thu 28-Mar-13 22:43:58

At my DC school roughly 15-25% get a level 3 depending on each year group as it can vary massively.

It sounds like your DD is doing well.

2B is the expected level for yr 2 and a 4B is the expected level for yr6 but things slow down massively in KS2 (yr3 onwards) and I think they are expected to make one whole level every 2 years although some schools push for more now.

simpson Thu 28-Mar-13 22:45:29

Level 2 is not average for yr 2 but expected iyswim.

mrz Fri 29-Mar-13 07:17:05

Expected level end of KS1 -level 2
Expected level end of KS2 - level 4
Expected level end of KS3 - level5/6

www.education.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s001094/sfr25-2012ks3.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now